|
CHINA> list_test
![]() |
|
Twelve killed in Johannesburg anti-immigrant violence
(Agencies)
Updated: 2008-05-19 10:54 JOHANNESBURG - Twelve people have been killed in a wave of weekend violence against immigrants around Johannesburg, police said Sunday, with gangs of armed youths rampaging through poor areas in South Africa's economic capital.
President Thabo Mbeki announced that a panel had been set up to look into the xenophobic attacks and the South African Red Cross said it had launched a appeal to help displaced people. "Since Friday to now there have been 12 murders," provincial police communications director Govindsamy Mariemuthoo told AFP when asked about the troubles, which intensified over the weekend and spread to outlying areas. Since the beginning of last week, foreigners have been targeted by mobs carrying machetes and guns in several run-down parts of the city despite pleas for calm and widespread condemnation from politicians. Local Johannesburg police spokeswoman Cheryl Engelbrecht told AFP that overnight violence in the inner city had left six dead, 50 people in hospital and a trail of looted shops and burnt cars. The bulk of the immigrants who have flooded South Africa in recent years are from neighbouring Zimbabwe, with an estimated three million having fled the economic meltdown and political crisis in their country. They have been particularly targeted as they are blamed by some locals for crime and unemployment. Some Zimbabweans say they are also accused of being behind rising food prices. An AFP reporter saw armed police recover the dead body of a victim midafternoon in the notorious Hillbrow area of the inner city on Sunday. They fired dozens of rubber bullets to disperse gangs in the surrounding area. As well as the panel to look into the violence, Thabo Mbeki urged the police to act firmly against the perpetrators, the domestic news agency SAPA reported. "We hope that the panel and the police will work together and help us answer who is behind this," he was quoted as saying. The head of the ruling African National Congress, Jacob Zuma, also condemned the violence. "We cannot allow South Africa to be famous for xenophobia," Zuma said from Pretoria, SAPA reported. "We cannot be a xenophobic country." He recalled the role neighbouring countries had played in sheltering ANC members in their fight against the racist apartheid regime in South Africa. "We should be the last people to have this problem of having a negative attitude towards our brothers and sisters who come from outside," he said. |
主站蜘蛛池模板: 亚洲人成人无码网WWW电影首页| 日韩美女视频一区二区三区| 日本一本正道综合久久dvd| 国产免费AV片在线看| 国产对白老熟女正在播放| 国产精品成人观看视频国产奇米 | 日韩淫片毛片视频免费看| 国产精品自拍视频第一页| 97精品人妻系列无码人妻| 亚洲精品日本久久一区二区三区 | 成在线人视频免费视频| 她也色tayese在线视频| 日本免费一区二区三区日本| 国内精品国产三级国产a久久| chinese乱国产伦video| 亚洲国产良家在线观看| 青青青在线视频国产| 国产三级国产精品国产专| 武装少女在线观看高清完整版免费| 无码人妻一区二区三区精品视频| bt天堂新版中文在线| 亚洲精品日韩在线观看| AV免费播放一区二区三区| 欧美妇人实战bbwbbw| 日产国产一区二区不卡| www国产精品内射熟女| 97成人碰碰久久人人超级碰oo| 国产成人欧美综合在线影院| 亚洲精品成人片在线观看精品字幕 | 无线乱码一二三区免费看| 狠狠综合av一区二区| 国产欧美日韩亚洲一区二区三区| 91pao强力打造免费高清| 国产不卡一区不卡二区| 午夜免费国产体验区免费的| 深夜av在线免费观看| 亚洲乱码一卡二卡卡3卡4卡| 亚洲一区二区三区av激情| 亚洲a成人无码网站在线| 亚洲女同在线播放一区二区| 一本大道久久香蕉成人网|