<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          New York's 3-day transit strike ends
          (AP)
          Updated: 2005-12-23 08:32

          Faced with mounting fines and the rising wrath of millions of commuters, the city transit union sent its members back to work without a new contract Thursday and ended a crippling, three-day strike that brought subways and buses to a standstill.

          Union members were told to return to their jobs starting with the evening shift. Buses were expected to be rolling again by evening. And most subways were expected to be running by the Friday morning rush, just two days before Christmas.

          "I'm ecstatic that it's over, but I'm still really mad that they did it," said Jessica Cunningham, 21, who was in town for the holiday. "I really think it's screwed up that they decided to strike the week before Christmas."

          The breakthrough came after an all-night session with a mediator. Around midday, leaders of the 33,000-member Transport Workers Union overwhelmingly voted to return to work and resume negotiations with the transit authority on a new three-year contract.

          "We thank our riders for their patience and forbearance," said union local president Roger Toussaint.

          While the deal put the nation's largest mass transit system back in operation, it did not resolve the underlying dispute 錕斤拷 pension contributions were the main sticking point 錕斤拷 meaning there could be another walkout if the negotiations fail.

          Milton Woodward, one of the first transit workers back on the job, sweeps up trash near subway ticket machines and turnstiles at the 34th Street subway station, Thursday, Dec. 22, 2005, in New York.
          Milton Woodward, one of the first transit workers back on the job, sweeps up trash near subway ticket machines and turnstiles at the 34th Street subway station, Thursday, Dec. 22, 2005, in New York. [AP]
          The strike cost the city untold millions in police overtime and lost business and productivity at the very height of the Christmas rush and forced millions of commuters, holiday shoppers and tourists to carpool, take taxis, ride bicycles or trudge through the freezing cold. But the strike did not cause the utter chaos that many had feared, and traffic in many parts of town was surprisingly light.

          "In the end, cooler heads prevailed," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said. "We passed the test with flying colors. We did what we had to do to keep the city running, and running safely."

          The walkout, which began early Tuesday, was New York's first citywide transit strike in more than 25 years. The workers left their jobs in violation of a state law prohibiting public employees from striking.

          The return to work was announced just minutes before Toussaint and two of his top deputies were due in a Brooklyn courtroom to answer criminal contempt charges that could have landed them in jail.

          Earlier this week, state Justice Theodore Jones fined the union $1 million a day for striking. And under the state no-strike law, the rank-and-file members were automatically docked two days' pay for each day they stayed off the job.

          "I'm ready to work the rush hour this afternoon if they let me," bus driver Ralph Torres said from the picket line as the breakthrough was announced.

          The strike left bitter feelings across the city.

          "I think it was all for nothing," said commuter Lauren Caramico, 22, of Brooklyn. "Now the poor people of the TWU are out six days' pay, and nothing gained."

          Gov. George Pataki warned there was no possibility of amnesty for the striking workers who were penalized financially. The fines "cannot be waived. They're not going to be waived," he said.

          Just before the deal was announced, an off-duty firefighter was critically injured when he was struck by a private bus while riding his bicycle to work. It was the first serious strike-related injury.

          A chief sticking point in the talks was a Metropolitan Transportation Authority proposal to require new hires to contribute 6 percent to their pensions, up from the current 2 percent for all employees. The pension proposal remained on the table despite the end of the walkout.

          An early closing notice due to the transit strike is seen posted on the window at Carlton Cleaners on New York's upper eastside Thursday, Dec. 22, 2005. Store manager Ron Sales said business at the store, which is located down the block from a New York City subway station, was down by about 30% since the start of the transit strike. (AP
          An early closing notice due to the transit strike is seen posted on the window at Carlton Cleaners on New York's upper eastside Thursday, Dec. 22, 2005. Store manager Ron Sales said business at the store, which is located down the block from a New York City subway station, was down by about 30% since the start of the transit strike. [AP]
          The vote to return to work was blasted by TWU dissidents who felt the union had caved in.

          "This was a disgrace," said TWU vice president John Mooney. "No details were provided to the executive board. (Toussaint) wants us to discuss the details after Christmas."

          After workers returned to the job, the judge overseeing the dispute adjourned all further action in the case until Jan. 20.

          "I'm pleased on behalf of the people of the city of New York," Jones said. "Hopefully, we'll be able to salvage Christmas."



          Rebels kill 8 policemen in ambush in Peru
          Public transport strike in New York
          Torrential monsoon rains in southern thailand
           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Japan FM's 'China threat' remarks criticized

           

             
           

          Reforms of SOEs will push ahead next year

           

             
           

          China to embark on road of peaceful rise

           

             
           

          Optimism increases in epidemic battle

           

             
           

          Guangdong dam slows down cadmium slick

           

             
           

          'Pollutants keeping global warming at bay'

           

             
            New York's 3-day transit strike ends
             
            Saddam's claims of abuse denied in court
             
            Uganda to discuss reparations with Congo
             
            EU threatens Microsoft with penalties
             
            Egypt opposition leader denies holocaust
             
            Man charged in failed London bombings
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          US attacks resume: Pentagon official
             
          Bush: Strikes may go beyond Afghan
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Manufacturers, Exporters, Wholesalers - Global trade starts here.
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 久久精品蜜芽亚洲国产AV| 麻花豆传媒剧国产mv的特点| 中文文字幕文字幕亚洲色| 国产精品乱码久久久久久小说| 精品无码人妻| 亚洲精品久久7777777国产| 亚洲综合中文字幕国产精品欧美| 国产对白老熟女正在播放| 在线人妻无码一区二区| 亚洲成人av高清在线| 日韩精品一区二区av在线观看| 色熟妇人妻久久中文字幕| 最近免费中文字幕大全| 亚洲日韩中文字幕在线播放| 精品亚洲没码中文字幕| 午夜精品无人区乱码1区2区| 久久精品国产国产精品四凭| 妺妺窝人体色WWW看美女| 四虎国产精品永久在线| 国产激情视频在线观看的| 国产精品亚洲国际在线看| 欧美成人精品 一区二区三区| 亚洲成片在线看一区二区| 久久日韩在线观看视频| 国产精品无码无片在线观看3d | 妖精视频yjsp毛片永久| 日本视频精品一区二区| 色综合久久久久综合99| 中文字幕永久免费观看| 最新中文乱码字字幕在线| 五月婷婷导航| 日本一区二区三区专线| 久久久这里只有免费精品| 起碰免费公开97在线视频| 波多野结衣一区二区三区88| 动漫av网站免费观看| 久久久久久99精品热久久| 亚洲综合精品香蕉久久网| 97精品国产福利一区二区三区| 91精品国产自产在线蜜臀| 在线欧美精品一区二区三区|