<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          UN considers expansion of Hariri probe
          (AP)
          Updated: 2005-12-14 16:15

          Syria still is not fully cooperating with a probe into the assassination of Lebanon's former prime minister, and investigators would need two more years at this rate, the chief of the inquiry told the U.N. Security Council on Tuesday.

          Detlev Mehlis acknowledged that Syria had permitted five high-ranking officials to be interviewed in Vienna, and he later said it was too early to say if Syria was in violation of a Security Council resolution that threatened "further action" unless Syria cooperates.

          "It remains to be seen whether the Syrian cooperation will be in full and without any conditions," Mehlis told the council as he presented his latest progress report on the probe. He later added: "We definitely are not seeing full cooperation because that would be cooperation in a timely manner."

          Mehlis' statements apparently did not persuade diplomats on the 15-nation council to seek sanctions against Damascus.

          Instead, the council was considering two Lebanese requests: to widen the probe into former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri's death to include other political killings; and to form an international tribunal that would try suspects in his death.

          The killing of Hariri, a leading anti-Syrian politician, sent shock waves through Lebanon, which has been under Syrian political and military control for decades. His death sparked street protests that prompted the Syrian military to withdraw from Lebanon in April.

          Since then, the region has been thrown into renewed turmoil by a string of similar car bombings and assassinations. On Monday, a leading anti-Syrian journalist and lawmaker, Gibran Tueni, was killed by a car bomb outside Beirut.

          But after hearing Mehlis' briefing, the council was sharply divided. Some, like Britain and France, expressed a general willingness, while others, including Algeria, were more cautious.

          "Some support it. Some said we need to study it further and some kept silent," Algeria's U.N. Ambassador Abdallah Baali said.

          U.S. Ambassador John Bolton, one of Syria's toughest critics, said U.S. officials were still considering how best to ensure that Syria cooperates with the probe. He did not rule out sanctions, but he did not focus on them.

          "The government of Syria responds unfortunately only to pressure, at least that's our experience to date, so we are considering what additional pressure we will bring to bear," Bolton said.

          France circulated a draft resolution late Tuesday that would extend Mehlis' probe, which had been scheduled to end Dec. 15, by another six months as he has requested.

          The draft would broaden the probe's scope so it has the option of investigating the "terrorist attacks perpetrated in Lebanon since 1 October 2004." At the same time, the document would largely put off the issue of the international tribunal, requesting only that U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan work with Lebanon on the issue and report back.

          Mehlis' latest report said new evidence strengthened his belief that the Syrian and Lebanese intelligence services had a hand in Hariri's assassination Feb. 14 in Beirut. It said there were 19 suspects so far, including six high-ranking Syrian officials.

          The council may be wary of causing further unrest in both Lebanon and Syria if the investigation expands to include the slaying of Tueni and others. The call for U.N. help during the Cabinet meeting sparked a walkout by five Lebanese ministers representing pro-Syrian Hezbollah and Amal groups.

          Baali, the Algerian ambassador, said one fear was that U.N. investigators could be asked to probe other assassinations in the future, and the council was wary of such an open-ended commitment.

          Tueni's slaying drew a sharp rebuke from Walid Jumblatt, a prominent anti-Syrian politician who called for the regime of Syrian President Bashar Assad to be changed.

          "This time this regime should change (and) should be tried," Jumblatt told CNN in the first such call by a prominent Lebanese politician.

          But Jumblatt later appeared to tone down his remarks, telling Lebanon's LBC television that "I do not interfere in the affairs of that regime. The (Syrian) people and the active forces there decides."

          In memory of the outspoken anti-Syrian critic, Lebanese schools and universities closed Tuesday and radio stations played classical music and television channels broadcast long tributes.

          President Bush said Tueni's murder was "aimed at subjugating Lebanon to Syrian domination."

          Syria has denied involvement in Tueni's slaying, as it has in Hariri's.

          In October, Mehlis' team released findings that implicated top Syrian and Lebanese security officials in Hariri's slaying and said greater Syrian cooperation was needed.

          Syria's U.N. Ambassador Feyssal Mekdad again insisted that Syria was cooperating fully and has "given to the committee whatever it wants."

          Four Lebanese generals have been arrested in the probe along with another suspect in France.



          Kashmiri earthquake survivor
          Sixth WTO Ministerial Conferences to open
          Fuel depot explodes in north London
           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          China moves to fourth in global GDP rankings

           

             
           

          Japan's huge military expense questioned

           

             
           

          68th anniversary of massacre marked

           

             
           

          Putin: Toxic spill incident not to hurt ties

           

             
           

          Drive for donations gets fillip

           

             
           

          Yuan gains; revaluation pressure to ease

           

             
            Iraqis go to the polls in 15 countries
             
            Investigator: US shipped out detainees
             
            Iran: No need for US security guarantee
             
            Britain may publish July 7 bombing findings
             
            Former US President Ford released from hospital
             
            Bomb kills 4 US soldiers in Iraq
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          New evidence implicates Syria in Hariri death - UN
             
          UN investigator on Hariri stepping down
             
          Syrians being questioned in Hariri case
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Manufacturers, Exporters, Wholesalers - Global trade starts here.
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 国产青榴视频在线观看| 欧美熟妇乱子伦XX视频| 啦啦啦www高清在线观看视频| 米奇亚洲国产精品思久久| 加勒比无码人妻东京热| 野花韩国高清电影| 99RE6在线观看国产精品| 91精品蜜臀国产综合久久| 中文字幕日韩有码av| av永久免费网站在线观看| 九九热免费在线观看视频| 久久精品国产精品第一区| 国产成人亚洲精品成人区| 办公室强奷漂亮少妇视频| 亚洲永久一区二区三区在线| 亚洲国产成人综合熟女| 日韩av片无码一区二区不卡| 99亚洲男女激情在线观看| 强制高潮18xxxxhd日韩 | 国产精品一区在线蜜臀| 少妇自慰流白口浆21p| 视频一区视频二区制服丝袜 | 国产午夜福利精品片久久| 免费午夜无码片在线观看影院 | www亚洲天堂| 在线高清免费不卡全码| 一本大道一卡二大卡三卡免费| 久久精品久久电影免费理论片| 成年免费视频播放网站推荐| 国内精品久久人妻无码不卡| 亚洲av无码一区东京热| 国产精品视频第一第二区| 亚洲精品久久片久久久久| 国产成人精品一区二区不卡| 国产情精品嫩草影院88av| 蜜臀av一区二区三区精品| 亚洲精品日韩中文字幕| 日韩欧激情一区二区三区| 国产免费视频一区二区| 国产午夜精品福利免费看| 亚洲一区二区三区在线|