<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Sunnis want Iraq military actions halted
          (AP)
          Updated: 2005-11-14 17:05

          Sunni Arab politicians stepped up demands Sunday for an end to U.S. and Iraqi military operations, claiming they threaten Sunni participation in next month's elections — a key U.S. goal. The U.S. command announced the deaths of three more American troops.

          Meanwhile, some 1,100 Iraqi lawyers said they withdrew from Saddam Hussein's defense team over the slayings of two colleagues representing co-defendants of the ousted leader. The main attorneys for Saddam and his seven co-defendants had already threatened to boycott the next trial session Nov. 28.

          On Monday, Operation Steel Curtain, being carried out near the border with Syria, entered a new phase when U.S. and Iraqi forces moved into the town of Obeidi, about 185 miles west of Baghdad.

          "Five targets were struck by coalition air strikes resulting in an estimated 37 insurgents killed," a military statement said. "Preliminary reports indicate an estimated 25 insurgents have already been captured and are currently detained."

          An Iraqi policeman steps over rubble of damaged homes, after a mortar round exploded in Baghdad, Iraq, Sunday, Nov. 13, 2005.
          An Iraqi policeman steps over rubble of damaged homes, after a mortar round exploded in Baghdad, Iraq, Sunday, Nov. 13, 2005.[AP]
          Troops assigned to the 2nd Marine Division have already fought their way through two neighboring towns, Husaybah and Karabilah. U.S. forces believe the border towns have been an entry point for insurgent fighters and weapons into Iraq.

          U.S. commanders have said offensives, especially those in the western province of Anbar near the Syrian border, are aimed at encouraging Sunni Arabs to vote in the Dec. 15 parliamentary elections without fear of intimidation by insurgents opposed to the political process.

          However, several major Sunni Arab political groups insisted Sunday that such operations risk keeping Sunni turnout low because civilians are displaced by the fighting or they will be too frightened to venture out to the polls.

          Some alleged the Shiite-led government was intentionally carrying out operations northeast of Baghdad to discourage Sunni Arabs from voting — a charge that Iraqi officials have denied.

          "We strongly condemn the military operations and demand that they are halted immediately," Saleh al-Mutlaq of the Sunni National Dialogue Front told reporters. "We demand that the United Nations, the Arab League and humanitarian organizations stop these massacres."

          Ayad al-Izi, a member of the largest Sunni Arab party, charged that raids by the Interior Ministry in religiously mixed Diyala province were politically motivated to cow Sunnis.

          "Such practices are aimed at foiling the political process in the country and they ignite the strife in such areas," said al-Izi of the Iraqi Islamic Party.

          On Monday, a car bomb detonated near a police patrol outside one of the main gates leading into the Green Zone in central Baghdad. Police Capt. Nabil Abdelqadir said at least one police office was killed and seven people were injured.

          The Interior Ministry said 310 people were arrested in the Diyala raids, which followed a truck bombing in a Shiite village that killed about 20 people. It did not say whether all those arrested were Sunnis.

          In a statement Sunday, the U.S. command said two Marines were killed the day before by a bomb west of Baghdad and an American soldier died in a vehicle accident in western Iraq. The latest deaths brought to at least 2,065 the number of U.S. military personnel who have died since the war began in 2003, according to an Associated Press count.

          Despite the rising casualty toll, U.S. officials have been encouraged because so many Sunni Arab groups have decided to run in the December elections, hoping that will induce members of the Sunni-dominated insurgency to stop fighting. That would allow U.S. and other coalition troops to begin heading home next year.

          Most Sunni Arabs boycotted the Jan. 30 elections, enabling the majority Shiites and their Kurdish allies to dominate the current parliament. That in turn ratcheted up sectarian tensions and reprisal killings.

          Many Sunni politicians now consider the January boycott a disaster for their community. But Sunni hard-liners — including insurgents and many clerics — remain adamantly opposed to the political process.

          "Our position is unchanged," Sheik Mohammed Bashar al-Faydhi, spokesman for the hard-line clerical Association of Muslim Scholars, told reporters Sunday. "We will not participle in the political process as long as the occupation exists," although he suggested that might change if Washington offered a timetable for withdrawal.

          President Bush has refused to set a timetable, saying that would play into the hands of insurgents. However, Iraqi Deputy Prime Minister Ahmad Chalabi said Friday that U.S. troops could begin leaving in significant numbers sometime next year.

          Iraqi President Jalal Talabani predicted in an interview televised Sunday in London that the 8,500 British soldiers could be gone by the end of 2006 — although he was not speaking for the government.

          Talabani told Britain's ITV that no Iraqis wanted foreign troops to remain indefinitely, adding that Iraq's own soldiers should be ready to take over from British forces in the southern provinces around Basra by the end of next year.

          The statement announcing the withdrawal of the 1,100 Iraqi lawyers also said the Saddam trial should be delayed because the government is not providing sufficient protection. The government says protection was offered but the lawyers refused.

          Jordanian lawyer Ziad al-Khasawneh, who was once part of the defense team, said the statement was issued by most of the 1,500 Iraqi lawyers who were enlisted for Saddam's defense — most of them helping research legal precedents, prepare briefs and perform other tasks outside the courtroom.

          In Baghdad, a senior court official, Raid Juhi, said the withdrawal would not affect the proceedings.

          "The court will continue to give legal consultation through naming defense lawyers in case the defense team does not show up" when the trial resumes, Juhi told AP by telephone.

          Saddam and seven co-defendants are on trial before a special Iraqi tribunal, charged in the 1982 deaths of 148 Shiite Muslims in Dujail after an assassination attempt against Saddam in that town north of Baghdad.



          Liberia poised to have Africa's first-ever elected female president
          Former Indian president passes away
          Suicide bombers kill 57 at Jordan hotels
           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Analysis: Internet war on economists lesson for many

           

             
           

          China mulls deregulating energy prices

           

             
           

          One dead, 5 missing in chemical plant blasts

           

             
           

          Take H5N1 seriously, but no need for panic

           

             
           

          Hu to take 'peaceful rise' diplomacy to APEC

           

             
           

          Signs of the times are not quite right

           

             
            North Korea proposed five-step plan to disarm at latest talks
             
            Japan moves to repair ties with SKorea at APEC
             
            Saddam trial to stay in Iraq
             
            Vietnam detects new suspected human bird flu case
             
            White House declines to totally rule out torture
             
            Iraqi woman confesses on Jordan TV
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          Iraqi official says Syria exporting terror
             
          Iraq leader: UK troops could leave by '06
             
          Bush forcefully attacks Iraq critics
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Manufacturers, Exporters, Wholesalers - Global trade starts here.
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 成人福利国产午夜AV免费不卡在线 | 麻花传媒在线观看免费| 久久精品一本到99热免费| 亚洲情色av一区二区| 99久久精品久久久久久清纯| 久久久久香蕉国产线看观看伊| 高级艳妇交换俱乐部小说| 亚洲电影天堂在线国语对白| 精品尤物国产尤物在线看| 蜜芽久久人人超碰爱香蕉| 国产精品啪| 精品国产亚洲av网站| 亚洲黄日本午夜一区二区| 人妻丝袜无码专区视频网站| 亚洲午夜无码av毛片久久| 蜜臀精品一区二区三区四区| 国产成人午夜福利在线小电影| 另类性姿势bbwbbw| 午夜福利看片在线观看| 久久青草国产精品一区| 午夜精品视频在线看| 久久精品国产一区二区三| 蜜桃在线免费观看网站| 一区二区三区四区五区自拍| 国产在线亚州精品内射| 五月天福利视频| 激情内射亚洲一区二区三区| 国产一区二区a毛片色欲| 午夜毛片免费看| 国产午夜福利小视频在线| 好吊妞| 不卡在线一区二区三区视频| 亚洲VA欧美VA国产综合| 亚洲一区二区三区水蜜桃| 老妇xxxxx性开放| 视频网站在线观看不卡| 国产中文字幕精品免费 | 精品一区二区三区无码视频| 久久88香港三级台湾三级播放| 97精品久久九九中文字幕| 国产mv在线天堂mv免费观看|