<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          AP: UN panel disputes oil-for-food firing
          (AP)
          Updated: 2005-11-11 08:55

          A U.N. appeals body ruled that the only employee to be fired over the Iraq oil-for-food scandal did not violate staff rules and should be reinstated with a public apology from Secretary-General Kofi Annan, according to documents disclosed Thursday.

          The Joint Disciplinary Committee concluded that Joseph Stephanides was fired mostly because of the public scrutiny from an investigation that found the $64 billion program was poorly managed and corrupt.

          The ruling, obtained by The Associated Press, said the three-judge panel "sympathized with the applicant's argument that he was being made the 'sacrificial lamb' in this matter so as to give the impression to the world that concrete and decisive action was being taken."

          The committee is an internal review body composed of U.N. staff where employees punished by the world body can file appeals.

          Annan is not required to accept the ruling, but will face pressure to act upon it from within the U.N. system and staff who believe criticism over the oil-for-food scandal was largely a smear campaign by the United Nations' critics.

          The ruling will be a new jolt to the secretary-general and the U.N. as they try to move on from the oil-for-food scandal and other problems — including sex abuse by peacekeepers and claims of sexual harassment by the former U.N. refugee chief — that have made this year one of the worst chapters in the world body's 60-year history.

          Attorney-General Philip Ruddock, seen here, said the Australian government has appointed a commission of inquiry into the alleged involvement of the country's monopoly wheat exporter in the oil-for-food scandal in Iraq(AFP/File
          Attorney-General Philip Ruddock, seen here, said the Australian government has appointed a commission of inquiry into the alleged involvement of the country's monopoly wheat exporter in the oil-for-food scandal in Iraq. [AFP/file]
          Stephanides, who was accused of divulging bidding information related to an oil-for-food contract to Britain, had argued he was acting under the instructions of a U.N. Security Council sanctions committee.

          The 60-year-old Cypriot national had been scheduled to retire four months after Annan fired him.

          "This recommendation enables me to have an honorable retirement which I really feel grateful for, nothing is more important than this," Stephanides told AP.

          If Annan does not act on the decision by Monday, 30 days after the ruling was made, Stephanides can demand a copy and go directly to the next appeals body, the U.N. Administrative Tribunal. Its decisions are binding.

          A senior U.N. official said a response was imminent even though Annan was on a trip to the Middle East. The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the ruling was not yet public, said Annan's advisers were reconsidering whether the punishment was too severe.

          The committee concluded that the order to dismiss Stephanides be rescinded, that he be paid any salary he missed and that he be allowed to retire. It also ruled that he be paid the equivalent of two years net base salary — which he said was about $98,000 — because of the damage to his rights, reputation and image.

          Finally, Annan must write him a public apology.

          Annan fired Stephanides on May 31, four months after the U.N.-backed probe of the program, led by former Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker, accused him of tainting the bidding process over a contract to inspect goods going into Iraq.

          The committee said Stephanides favored Britain-based Lloyd's Register Inspection Ltd., enlisting Britain's help and sharing bid information over the contract in 1996. Lloyd's eventually won the contract. Stephanides claims that the process was politicized from the start.

          The ruling agreed that Annan didn't give enough weight to the oil-for-food program's complexity and "highly politicized nature," by which the U.N. Security Council wanted to spread contracts among various member states.

          On Stephanides' request, Volcker reopened his investigation into Stephanides over the summer. But Volcker's team reaffirmed its findings in a final report in late October.

          The ruling swept aside the findings of both Volcker's $35 million investigation and concurring opinions by the U.N. Office of Human Resources Management and Office of Legal Affairs.

          The panel focused on a little-noticed sentence from the Volcker committee's February interim report, which said the bids for the contract had been read out publicly before Stephanides approached the British.

          Stephanides was fired for divulging the bid amount of a Lloyd's competitor. But because of the open reading, the bids were no longer private, the panel said, adding the basis for firing Stephanides was "seriously flawed and was therefore to be rejected."

          The ruling went on to find that Annan's legal team committed "errors of law and fact" in their handling of the case. It said Annan's lawyers cited the wrong rules when they fired Stephanides and wrongly suspended him before informing him of the charges against him.

          Stephanides is the only U.N. employee to be punished over the scandal. Benon Sevan, the program's former chief, is being investigated by the Manhattan District Attorney's office for allegedly accepting kickbacks. Alexander Yakovlev, who worked in the U.N. contract office, resigned and pleaded guilty in August to soliciting a bribe from a company seeking a contract.



          Former Indian president passes away
          Suicide bombers kill 57 at Jordan hotels
          Health experts plan regional stockpiles of antiviral drugs
           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Beijing: Bush-Dalai Lama meeting negative

           

             
           

          US$1.7b deals dominate Hu's German agenda

           

             
           

          Three Chinese killed in Jordan bombing

           

             
           

          US embassy withdraws terror warning

           

             
           

          Migratory birds come under microscope

           

             
           

          China: Topping US in medals 'impossible'

           

             
            Angry Jordanians rally to protest bombings
             
            Two suicide bombers kill 33 in Iraq
             
            3 Chinese among 57 killed in Jordan hotel bombings
             
            US tells North Korea to stop reactor now
             
            Rioting begins to slack off in France
             
            Asia terror chief believed killed in Indonesia
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          Australia probes wheat board over alleged Saddam kickbacks
             
          Indian Foreign Minister resigns over Iraq report
             
          India to study UN oil-for-food report
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Manufacturers, Exporters, Wholesalers - Global trade starts here.
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 国产一级在线观看www色| 欧美精品一区二区三区中文字幕| 亚洲成a人片77777在线播放| 亚洲成av人片在www鸭子| 性色av一区二区三区夜夜嗨| 国产一区二区不卡精品视频 | 性欧美乱妇高清come| 福利一区二区视频在线| 久久人妻av一区二区三区| 91老肥熟女九色老女人| 欧美在线一区二区三区精品| 精品无码国产污污污免费| 午夜免费国产体验区免费的| 91久久国产热精品免费| 国产一区日韩二区欧美三区| 国产系列高清精品第一页| 国产精品一区在线蜜臀| 国内熟妇人妻色在线视频| 亚洲女同在线播放一区二区| 国产成人a在线观看视频| 国产亚洲久久久久久久| 色视频在线观看免费视频| 日韩深夜福利视频在线观看 | 欧美亚洲综合成人A∨在线| 国产11一12周岁女毛片| 亚洲色大成网站WWW国产| 国产免费毛不卡片| 亚洲男女羞羞无遮挡久久丫 | 国产精品99一区二区三区| 人妻av一区二区三区av免费| 久久人妻无码一区二区| 无码精油按摩潮喷在线播放| 国产成人8X人网站视频| av在线播放观看免费| 福利一区二区视频在线| 国内a级毛片| 国产麻豆成人传媒免费观看| 亚洲黄色高清| 久久99热只有频精品8| 亚洲欧美国产另类视频| 亚洲精品香蕉一区二区|