<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          British soldiers free two from Iraq jail
          (AP)
          Updated: 2005-09-20 10:38

          According to the BBC, Defense officials insisted they had been talking to the Iraqi authorities to secure the release of the men, but acknowledged a wall was demolished as British forces tried to "collect" the two prisoners.

          While the Shiite-dominated south of Iraq, where 8,500 British troops are based, has been far quieter than Sunni regions to the north, Britons have come under increasingly frequent attacks in recent weeks. The British military has reported 96 deaths since the war began in 2003.

          That compares with the deaths of 1,899 Americans who are stationed nearer the violent insurgent regions around Baghdad and stretching west to the Syrian border.

          The latest violence in the oil city of Basra, 340 miles south of the capital, began early Monday when local authorities reported arresting the two Britons, described as special forces commandos dressed in Arab clothing, for allegedly shooting two Iraqi policemen, one of whom died.

          British armor then encircled the jail where the two Britons were held.

          In a public humiliation, television cameramen from Arab satellite broadcasters in the Persian Gulf were allowed to photograph the two men, clearly Westerners who were by that time sitting on the floor in the jail in blue jeans and T-shirts, their hands tied behind their backs.

          One of the men had a bandage covering most of the top of his head, the other had blood on his clothes. Television commentary identified them only as Britons.

          A combo shows two British soldiers detained by Iraqi police sitting in a police station in the southern Iraqi city of Basra.
          A combo shows two British soldiers detained by Iraqi police sitting in a police station in the southern Iraqi city of Basra.[AFP]
          Outside the jail, a melee broke out in the streets as angry demonstrators attacked the encircling British armor with stones and Molotov cocktails. During the chaos, one British soldier could be seen scrambling for his life from a burning Warrior armored personnel carrier and the rock-throwing mob.

          Press Association, the British news agency, reported that three British soldiers were hurt during the violence, but said none of their injuries was life-threatening.

          After nightfall, 10 British armored vehicles returned to the jail, crashed through walls and freed the two captives, witnesses said. An Associated Press reporter saw the vehicles smash into the jail.

          While witnesses and officials said the British raid used "tanks," it was not clear whether the tracked vehicles were Challenger 2 Main Battle Tanks or Warrior Infantry Fighting Vehicles, both in use by British forces in Iraq. The Warrior seen earlier in the day was mounted with a 30 mm cannon.

          In other violence in Basra, an Iraqi journalist working for The New York Times was killed after men claiming to be police officers abducted him from his home, the newspaper announced Monday. Fakher Haider, 38, was found dead in a deserted area on the city's outskirts Monday after his abduction late Sunday.

          This past summer, freelance journalist Steven Vincent wrote a column in the Times accusing Basra police of being infiltrated by Shiite militiamen. Shortly thereafter, on Aug. 2, Vincent was abducted at gunpoint and his body was discovered that night on the side of the highway south of Basra. A senior British official said Islamic militants — and not Iraqi police — probably killed Vincent.

          Elsewhere in Iraq on Monday, an estimated 3 million pilgrims — some carrying signs reading "We welcome martyrdom" — jammed the holy city of Karbala for a major Shiite festival in defiance of insurgent declarations of all-out sectarian war.

          In Baghdad, an Iraqi court sentenced one of Saddam Hussein's nephews to life in prison for funding the country's violent insurgency and bomb-making after a previously unannounced trial. It was the first known trial of any of the former leader's family.

          Militants waged more bloody attacks across the country Monday, killing 24 police and civilians and wounding 28.

          But there were no attacks in Karbala, where security was so tight that authorities had banned vehicles from entering for several days before the holiday. Pilgrims were forced to pass through seven checkpoints inside the city before reaching holy shrines.

          In an Internet posting, al-Qaida in Iraq leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi purportedly issued a new vow, promising he would not attack followers of radical Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr and other Shiite leaders opposed to Iraq's U.S.-backed government.

          Last Wednesday, after insurgent forces were routed from their stronghold in the northern city of Tal Afar, al-Zarqawi, a Jordanian-born Sunni Arab, declared all-out war on Iraq's majority Shiites.

          But in the statement Monday on a Web site known for carrying extremist Islamist material, al-Zarqawi now appeared set on trying to split the Shiite community.

          "Any Shiite group that condemns the government's crimes against the Sunnis in Tal Afar, and which doesn't provide help to the occupation by any means, will be exempted from the attacks of the mujahedeen," said the statement, which could not be immediately authenticated.


          Page: 12



          North Korea to drop nuclear weapons development
          Clinton Global Initiative Summit
          Schwarzenegger seeks re-election in 2006
           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          N. Korea agrees to abandon nuclear weapon efforts

           

             
           

          PBOC: Economy too much export-driven

           

             
           

          UN warned on abuse of intervention right

           

             
           

          White House invites China for G-7 talks

           

             
           

          China shares rise on restructuring hopes

           

             
           

          172 affected in Fujian cholera outbreak

           

             
            North Korea demands nuke reactor from US
             
            US to wait and see on North Korea nuke deal
             
            NASA planning moon launch for 2018
             
            Schroeder seeks coalition pacts with rivals
             
            al-Qaida takes blame for London blasts
             
            Israeli seeks closer ties with Arab world
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          Iraq cleric urges unity against violence
             
          Gunmen kill 2 Baghdad labourers, wound 13
             
          UN to help Iraqis print constitution
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 亚洲国产成人精品综合色| 亚洲天堂成年人在线视频| 国产美女久久久亚洲综合| 中文精品无码中文字幕无码专区| 午夜精品福利亚洲国产| 开心五月激情五月俺亚洲| av色国产色拍| 1769国产在线观看免费视频 | 国偷自产一区二区免费视频| 国产蜜臀av在线一区在线| japanese人妻中文字幕| 人成午夜大片免费视频77777 | 野花在线观看免费观看高清| 99精品国产兔费观看久久99| 国产亚洲无日韩乱码| 精品国产911在线观看| 99RE8这里有精品热视频| 天天爽天天爽天天爽| 国产对白老熟女正在播放| 久久国产精品一国产精品金尊| 久久精品熟妇丰满人妻久久| 日本亚洲色大成网站www久久| 免费网站看av片| 久久这里只有精品免费首页| 国产精品色内内在线播放| 国产一区二区牛影视| 小嫩批日出水无码视频免费| 久久男人av资源网站无码软件| 日韩精品一区二区三区人| 视频一区二区无码制服师生| 国产精品推荐视频一区二区| 国产精品久久久久久福利69堂| 成人国产精品三上悠亚久久| 国产精品综合色区av| 亚洲乱码国产乱码精品精| 一区二区三区放荡人妻| 国产怡春院无码一区二区| 久久久天堂国产精品女人| 中文熟妇人妻av在线| 蜜臀AⅤ永久无码精品| 亚洲精品成人7777在线观看|