<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Cops set to forcibly clear out New Orleans
          (AP)
          Updated: 2005-09-09 18:35

          Authorities said their sweep of this deluged city for the last voluntary evacuees was nearly complete, with officers ready to carry out the mayor's order to forcibly remove the thousands who remain in their homes.


          New Orleans police superintendent Eddie Compass, right, talks with reporters outside City Hall in New Orleans on Thursday, Sept. 8, 2005. At left is Assistant Superintendent Warren Riley. [AP]

          "The ones who wanted to leave, I would say most of them are out," said Detective Sgt. James Imbrogglio.

          Between 5,000 and 10,000 residents are believed left in the city, where toxic floodwaters have started to slowly recede but the task of collecting rotting corpses and clearing debris will likely take months.

          Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer Jason Rule said his crew pulled 18 people from their homes Thursday. He said some of the holdouts did not want to leave unless they could take their pets.

          "It's getting to the point where they're delirious," Rule said. "A couple of them don't know who they were. They think the water will go down in a few days."

          Police Chief Eddie Compass said officers would use the "minimum amount of force" necessary to persuade those who remain to evacuate. Although no one was forcibly removed Thursday, some residents said they left under extreme pressure.

          "They were all insisting that I had to leave my home," said Shelia Dalferes, who said she had 15 minutes to pack before she and her husband were evacuated.

          "The implication was there with their plastic handcuffs on their belt. Who wants to go out like that?"

          As searches for the living continued, the grim task of retrieving corpses intensified under the broiling sun. Officials raised the death toll in Louisiana to 118 Thursday, though New Orleans Mayor C. Ray Nagin has said up to 10,000 could be dead in that city alone. State officials have ordered 25,000 body bags.

          Authorities are now faced with the challenge of how to identify bodies that may be bloated and decayed beyond recognition. At two collection sites, federal mortuary teams were collecting information that may help identify the bodies, such as where they were found. Personal effects were also being logged.

          At the temporary morgue set up in nearby St. Gabriel, where 67 bodies had been collected by Thursday, the remains were being photographed and forensic workers hope to use dental X-rays, fingerprints and DNA to identify them.

          Dr. Bryan Patucci, coroner of St. Bernard Parish, said it may be impossible to identify all the victims until authorities compile a final list of missing people.

          Decaying corpses in the floodwaters could pose problems for engineers who are desperately trying to pump the city dry. While 37 of the 174 pumps in the New Orleans area were working and 17 portable pumps were in place Thursday, officials said the mammoth undertaking could be complicated by corpses getting clogged in the pumps.

          "It's got a huge focus of our attention right now," said John Rickey of the Army Corps of Engineers. "Those remains are people's loved ones."

          Some 400,000 homes in the city were also still without power, with no immediate prospect of getting it back. And fires continued to be a problem. At least 11 blazes burned across the city Thursday, including at historically black Dillard University where three buildings were destroyed.

          Also Thursday, Congress rushed through an additional $51.8 billion for relief and recovery efforts and President Bush pledged to make it "easy and simple as possible" for uprooted storm victims to collect food stamps and other government benefits.

          In an attempt to stem the criticism of the slow federal response to the disaster, Vice President Dick Cheney also toured parts of the ravaged Gulf Coast, claiming significant progress but acknowledging immense obstacles remained to a full recovery.

          Meanwhile, Democrats threatened to boycott the naming of a panel that Republican leaders are proposing to investigate the administration's readiness and response to the storm. Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid said it was like a baseball pitcher calling "his own balls and strikes."

          Democrats have urged appointment of an independent panel like the Sept. 11 commission.

          Confusion continued to be a problem in many areas:

          @Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco said that radio equipment and portable generators she requested from the federal government a week ago had yet to arrive. Federal officials said they were tracking down the status of the items.

          @In Houston, hundreds of storm victims waited for hours to pick up debit cards for cash that had been promised by relief agencies. By noon Thursday, so many people had jammed the entrance to the sign-up area that some were overcome by the heat and police were summoned.



          12th APEC Finance Ministers Meeting
          Germany's Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder campaigning
          Rescue continues in New Orleans
           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          China gains ground on UN list of developed nations

           

             
           

          Officer acquitted in beating of Chinese tourist

           

             
           

          Putin: oil pipeline will serve China first

           

             
           

          China to expand relations with Canada: Hu

           

             
           

          ADB: China economy to grow 9.2% this year

           

             
           

          Showbiz opens up to foreign investors

           

             
            Katrina divides rather than unifies U.S.
             
            Cops set to forcibly clear out New Orleans
             
            Arafat's death remains a mystery
             
            Ukraine President dismisses government
             
            Mubarak wins Egypt election in landslide
             
            US raises concerns with India over Iranian nuclear issue
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 手机看片AV永久免费| 国产内射一级一片内射高清视频| 亚洲色播永久网址大全| 亚洲av日韩av永久无码电影| 国产免费毛不卡片| 人妻被猛烈进入中文字幕| 国产欧美日韩高清在线不卡| 美女自卫慰黄网站| 婷婷综合在线观看丁香| 免费人成网站免费看视频| 无码天堂亚洲国产AV| 亚洲成人四虎在线播放| 国产精品中文字幕久久| 天天摸夜夜摸夜夜狠狠添| 国产成人精品无码免费看| 久久精品久久电影免费理论片| 国内精品免费久久久久电影院97| 欧美 国产 亚洲 卡通 综合| 老色99久久九九爱精品| 一区二区三区国产在线网站视频 | 国产老熟女乱子一区二区| 《特殊的精油按摩》3| 西西少妇一区二区三区精品| 国产午夜亚洲精品国产成人| 亚洲爽爆av一区二区| 99久久激情国产精品| 色婷婷亚洲精品综合影院| 少妇午夜福利一区二区三区| 中文字幕午夜福利片午夜福利片97| 免费人欧美成又黄又爽的视频| 99欧美日本一区二区留学生| 不卡无码AV一区二区三区| 成人看的污污超级黄网站免费| 成人午夜在线观看日韩| 人妻少妇偷人精品一区| 亚洲国产精品13p| 亚洲综合激情五月色一区| 人人妻久久人人澡人人爽人人精品| 日韩熟女乱综合一区二区| 人妻少妇精品无码专区二区| 亚洲开心婷婷中文字幕|