<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          20,000 evacuated in Birmingham terror alert
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2005-07-10 10:38

          More than 20,000 people were evacuated last night from Birmingham city centre after police received what was described as "intelligence of a terrorist threat".


          A picture released Saturday July 9, 2005 by the London Metropolitan Police shows the damage to the London Underground train which was involved in the terrorist attack at Aldgate tube station on Thursday. Police revised the timing of the deadly blasts that tore through the London Underground, saying on Saturday the explosions were detonated just seconds apart. [AP]

          The Assistant Chief Constable of West Midlands Police, Stuart Hyde, said that the Broad Street entertainment district and the city's Chinese quarter were being cleared after an intelligence warning of a "substantial threat" to the areas.

          He said that a controlled explosion was carried out on a bus in Corporation Street earlier in the evening following a call from a member of the public, although officers now believe that the item destroyed had not posed a threat.

          Mr Hyde added: "We are acting on information that we have received. Clearly you wouldn't expect me to detail to you the nature of that information, but putting public safety first and following very careful analysis, we have come to the conclusion that the best way to protect the public is to shut Broad Street tonight and to close the Hurst Street area of the city as well."

          These areas are the hub of Birmingham's energetic nightlife, and are thought to contain around 200 bars and clubs. Police insisted that the decision to close such a large part of the city had not been taken lightly. "We have made this decision after careful analysis and consideration and we are very, very grateful to the public for their understanding. We believe it is a proportionate response to the information. I would ask the public to stay vigilant."

          The full-scale alert was by far the biggest of several security scares in Britain over the past two days, showing that the country and its security services and police are understandably jittery after Thursday's bombs atrocities in London.

          But Mr Hyde said: "I don't believe that the incident that we are dealing with this evening is connected with the events of 7 July in London. I want to make that pretty clear.

          Shortly after the alert began, around 8pm, a police spokesman told the Press Association: "West Midlands police ... are now closing down the Broad Street entertainment zone and asking people to leave Birmingham town centre and go home."

          People did as they were told, with no trouble or arrests reported. One resident, Phil Debenham, said: "We tried to get into the centre of Birmingham this evening but were turned back by the police. They wouldn't tell us any reason." He said people were leaving the area calmly. Staff at BBC Birmingham's Mailbox Centre were evacuated from the building, and the Five Live Late Night Live programme between 10pm and 1am was also diverted to London.

          West Midlands Police earlier issued a public warning to people visiting Birmingham city centre tonight. It asked for bars, restaurants and clubs to be searched and for people entering the premises to be searched. No vehicles were allowed into the city centre.

          More than 20,000 people were evacuated last night from Birmingham city centre after police received what was described as "intelligence of a terrorist threat".

          The Assistant Chief Constable of West Midlands Police, Stuart Hyde, said that the Broad Street entertainment district and the city's Chinese quarter were being cleared after an intelligence warning of a "substantial threat" to the areas.

          He said that a controlled explosion was carried out on a bus in Corporation Street earlier in the evening following a call from a member of the public, although officers now believe that the item destroyed had not posed a threat. Mr Hyde added: "We are acting on information that we have received. Clearly you wouldn't expect me to detail to you the nature of that information, but putting public safety first and following very careful analysis, we have come to the conclusion that the best way to protect the public is to shut Broad Street tonight and to close the Hurst Street area of the city as well."

          These areas are the hub of Birmingham's energetic nightlife, and are thought to contain around 200 bars and clubs. Police insisted that the decision to close such a large part of the city had not been taken lightly. "We have made this decision after careful analysis and consideration and we are very, very grateful to the public for their understanding. We believe it is a proportionate response to the information. I would ask the public to stay vigilant."
          The full-scale alert was by far the biggest of several security scares in Britain over the past two days, showing that the country and its security services and police are understandably jittery after Thursday's bombs atrocities in London.

          But Mr Hyde said: "I don't believe that the incident that we are dealing with this evening is connected with the events of 7 July in London. I want to make that pretty clear.

          Shortly after the alert began, around 8pm, a police spokesman told the Press Association: "West Midlands police ... are now closing down the Broad Street entertainment zone and asking people to leave Birmingham town centre and go home."

          People did as they were told, with no trouble or arrests reported. One resident, Phil Debenham, said: "We tried to get into the centre of Birmingham this evening but were turned back by the police. They wouldn't tell us any reason." He said people were leaving the area calmly. Staff at BBC Birmingham's Mailbox Centre were evacuated from the building, and the Five Live Late Night Live programme between 10pm and 1am was also diverted to London.

          West Midlands Police earlier issued a public warning to people visiting Birmingham city centre tonight. It asked for bars, restaurants and clubs to be searched and for people entering the premises to be searched. No vehicles were allowed into the city centre.



          Space shuttle Discovery launch delayed
          Blair plans measures to uproot extremism
          Pakistan train crash carnage kills 128
           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Taiwan's KMT Party to elect new leader Saturday

           

             
           

          'No trouble brewing,' beer industry insists

           

             
           

          Critics see security threat in Unocal bid

           

             
           

          DPRK: Nuke-free peninsula our goal

           

             
           

          Workplace death toll set to soar in China

           

             
           

          No foreign controlling stakes in steel firms

           

             
            Judge: Saddam trial could begin next month
             
            DPRK: Nuke-free peninsula our goal
             
            Pakistan train crash carnage kills 128
             
            NASA delays shuttle launch till Saturday
             
            Annan advocates UN Council expansion now
             
            Israel seals off Gaza Strip settlements
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          London police revise timeline for blasts
             
          British police suspect timers used in bomb attacks
             
          World must deal with causes of terrorism - Blair
             
          Families search for London bombing victims
             
          Shadowy group claims London attacks - Web
             
          London bombing sites combed as toll passes 50
             
          London bombs likely simple and homemade
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 我的漂亮老师2中文字幕版| 日韩精品一区二区三区影院| 2022一本久道久久综合狂躁| 久久国内精品一区二区三区| 人妻少妇精品中文字幕| 亚洲av无码国产在丝袜线观看| 亚洲男女羞羞无遮挡久久丫 | 国产片AV在线永久免费观看 | 亚洲国产精品18久久久久久| 一卡二卡三卡四卡视频区| 久久久一本精品99久久| 农村老熟妇乱子伦视频| 国产精品中文字幕综合| 国产av一区二区三区丝袜| 亚洲av国产成人精品区| 中文熟妇人妻av在线| 婷婷无套内射影院| 亚洲最大日韩精品一区| 熟妇啊轻点灬大JI巴太粗| 日韩有码中文字幕一区二区| 国产精品无码无卡在线观看久| 1769国内精品视频在线播放 | 成人自拍短视频午夜福利| 亚洲国产成人无码电影| 成人无码区免费视频| 国产精品亚洲А∨天堂免| 九九热精品视频在线免费| 国产精品碰碰现在自在拍| 国产精品女同性一区二区| 少妇极品熟妇人妻| 日韩精品久久久肉伦网站| 成人免费av在线观看| 亚洲熟女乱色综合一区| 欧美亚洲国产日韩一区二区| 色综合天天操| 中文字幕日韩精品国产| 欧洲美女粗暴牲交免费观看| 日本不卡的一区二区三区| 国产偷国产偷亚洲清高动态图| 人妻激情视频一区二区三区| 人人妻人人澡人人爽人人精品97 |