<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Australia to end historic Timor peacekeeping mission
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2005-06-12 15:44

          Canberra is to begin withdrawing its last peacekeeping troops from East Timor, signalling the end of a six-year mission that heralded a controversial new era of regional intervention for Australia and one of its largest military ventures since the Vietnam War.

          In a ceremony on Monday to be attended by Timorese leaders, Australia will hand over a base at Moleana, a tiny town near the border with Indonesia -- the country whose violent backlash to Timor's independence prompted Australia's deployment.

          Australian troops prior to their delpoyment in East Timor.
          Australian troops prior to their delpoyment in East Timor.[AFP/file]
          Australia dispatched its military to East Timor in 1999 amid violent chaos that surrounded a UN-backed vote in favour of separating from Indonesia, which occupied the half-island former Portuguese colony in 1976.

          More than 1,400 people were believed to have died and entire towns were razed as Indonesian troops and their local militia proxies rampaged until the arrival of peacekeepers led by up to 5,000 Australians.

          However the deployment, a prelude to a new Australian foreign policy that has included military intervention in the Solomon Islands and a program to restore law and order in Papua New Guinea, led to a collapse in relations between Canberra and Jakarta that continues to resonate.

          Monday's handover comes a month after the official end of the United Nations' military operations in East Timor, which had already been extended after two years of UN stewardship ceded to Timorese sovereignty in 2002.

          Attending the ceremony will be Timor Prime Minister Mari Alkatiri, the UN's special representative in the country, Sukehiro Hasegawa, and Australian army land commander Major General Ken Gillespie.

          Lieutenant General Brian Cox, the commander of Canberra's Timor deployment, told the Australian Associated Press that his country should be proud of its involvement in the birth of the world's newest independent nation.

          "That's it. It will be the end of an era. It's great in some ways. We came here in very difficult circumstances. Australia has significantly contributed to the security of this nation," he said.

          "We are leaving them in a position where they can actually grow and prosper."

          The full withdrawal of Australian troops is expected to be completed by June 24, but some two dozen personnel are to remain as part of an defence cooperation operation, military spokesman Lieutenant Ian Lumsden told AFP.

          Australia lost two military personnel during the its operations in East Timor, both in non-combat situations.

          However the greatest casualty was its ties with Indonesia, which froze in the wake of an intervention that was seen as the start of a more aggressive Australian foreign policy towards its Asian and Pacific neighbours.

          Although there has been recent friction over the jailing of a young Australian woman caught smuggling drugs into Indonesia, relations have begun to thaw in recognition of Australian help in the wake of the 2002 Bali bombings and last year's tsunami.

          Australia's withdrawal from Timor also comes at a time when Canberra's relationship with Dili is still on rocky ground thanks to a lingering dispute over the ownership of lucrative oil and gas fields under the Timor sea.

          After three years of wrangling, the two countries are reported to be nearing a deal that could see Timor gain access to new wealth which would help it rise from its current position as one of Asia's poorest nations.

          Alkatiri denied last week however that any agreement had been finalised.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          EU: Yuan be pegged to a basket of currencies

           

             
           

          Death toll rises to 91 in Heilongjiang flooding

           

             
           

          EU, China clinch deal to avert showdown

           

             
           

          Official AIDS intervention sparks disputes

           

             
           

          G8 agrees to historic debt-relief plan

           

             
           

          Bolivian protesters declare truce

           

             
            G8 agrees to historic debt-relief plan
             
            Group said to oppose Koizumi shrine visit
             
            Bolivian protesters declare truce
             
            Official denies talks on Mladic surrender
             
            Palestinians issue disarmament conditions
             
            Anti-Syrian factions square off in Lebanon polls
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 人妻在线中文字幕| 国产成人精品日本亚洲成熟| 丁香五月亚洲综合在线国内自拍 | 黑巨人与欧美精品一区| 日产无人区一线二码三码2021| 91一区二区三区蜜桃| 日本亚洲一区二区精品| 伊伊人成亚洲综合人网7777| 日韩在线观看 一区二区| 国产一区二区三区怡红院| 亚洲顶级裸体av片| 国产亚洲人成网站观看| 欧美成人h亚洲综合在线观看| 免费A级毛片中文字幕| 精品久久久久久亚洲综合网| 少妇高潮喷水正在播放| 亚洲色一色噜一噜噜噜| 精选国产av精选一区二区三区| 高清国产美女av一区二区| 国产蜜臀久久av一区二区| 一二三三免费观看视频| 欧美成人aaa片一区国产精品| 亚洲欧美一区二区三区图片| 国产成人高清亚洲综合| 国产亚洲日韩在线aaaa| 蜜臀av一区二区三区人妻在线| 国产成人AV国语在线观看| 国产欧美日韩一区二区三区视频| 精品亚洲国产成人av| xxxxxl日本17上线| 欧美激情一区二区三区成人| 亚洲精品国偷自产在线99正片| 成人又黄又爽又色的视频| 中文字幕日韩有码一区| 九九热视频在线免费观看| 97精品国产福利一区二区三区| 精品嫩模福利一区二区蜜臀| 久久99九九精品久久久久蜜桃| 亚洲一区二区av在线| 色猫咪av在线观看| 国产精品国产精品偷麻豆|