<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Egypt to change constitution, Mubarak's place safe
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2005-05-09 21:35

          Egyptian members of parliament have a once-in-a-lifetime chance to change the political landscape on Tuesday when they vote on a constitutional amendment opening presidential elections to more than one candidate.

          But when their task is done, President Hosni Mubarak, 77 and in power for 23 years, can rest assured the job will still be his for the asking when Egyptians vote in September, politicians, diplomats and analysts say.

          Under foreign and international pressure, Mubarak took the country by surprise in February by proposing an end to the old system where a parliament dominated by the ruling party chose a single candidate for the people to endorse by referendum.

          The United States, which is campaigning for democracy in the Middle East, welcomed the proposal as a sign of positive change in the Arab world's most populous nation.

          But 10 weeks of drafting and negotiating have resulted in an electoral system which excludes all the politicians who could plausibly mount a credible assault on the presidency.

          "They (the government and ruling party) have aborted the whole process. It's one step forward and one step back," said Mohamed el-Sayed Said, deputy director of Cairo think-tank the al-Ahram Centre for Political and Strategic Studies.

          The rules, expected to sail through the People's Assembly without amendment, require independent candidates to obtain the support of a prohibitively high number of elected officials from the two houses of parliament and local councils.

          They will need, for example, endorsements from at least 65 of the 444 elected members of the People's Assembly, where the largest opposition group now has only 15 members.

          Recognised political parties can field candidates easily this year but the ruling National Democratic Party (NDP) has tightly controlled for years the party approval process, carefully excluding from political life the Islamists widely seen as the strongest contenders for power.

          After the flurry of interest in politics generated by the Kifaya (Enough) protest movement this year, many Egyptians have resigned themselves to six more years of Mubarak.

          "Constitutional amendment? No one applies the constitution to begin with. The government does what it wants. The amendment won't make any difference and Mubarak will win anyway," said Mahmoud Fiky, a 52-year-old taxi driver.

          RIPOSTE OF "NOT ENOUGH"

          Others have rallied to the defence of the president, portraying him as a force for stability in troubled times. At a trade union meeting attended by Mubarak last week, loyalists took up a new chant to counter the Kifaya slogan. "Not enough, not enough, with Mubarak to the end," they cried.

          But the demand for change has galvanised a hard core of activists into action and percolated into professional groups which for the past 50 years have steered clear of politics.

          Judges, journalists and university professors have taken stands against the governments in recent weeks.

          The ferment has also awoken the Muslim Brotherhood, the sleeping Islamist giant of Egyptian politics.

          The Brotherhood, with thousands of committed organisers across the country, has staged by far the biggest demonstrations. The state has hit back by arresting some 800 members, including leading member Essam el-Arian.

          Brotherhood leader Mohamed Mahdi Akef said on Sunday he was not seeking confrontation with the government. But after 50 years in the wilderness, opportunities clearly loom.

          "The opportunities consist of a tattered, unpopular regime weathering perhaps the greatest challenges to its survival ... and friendly signals (to Islamists) from both the EU (European Union) and the United States," said Baheyya, a well-informed Egyptian blogger who does not use her real name.

          President George W. Bush's administration has undermined Mubarak by saying it is not too worried about Islamists taking power in the Middle East as long as they are democrats.

          Bush stirred the pot further at the weekend when he said international monitors should keep an eye on this year's presidential elections -- a proposal Egyptian officials have repeatedly rejected as a national insult.

          Egyptian Prime Minister Ahmed Nazif is preparing to confront that demand when he sees Bush in Washington next week, said an official who asked not to be named.

          Mohamed el-Sayed Said predicted the government would try to ignore the demand. If necessary, it will play the nationalist card against foreign interference, which still has appeal in many sectors of the population, he added.

          Analysts say the ferment remains mostly on the surface and the vast majority of Egyptians remain on the sidelines.

          "If it's not Mubarak who wins it will be some other multi-millionaire and we will continue to suffer. We don't have any rights or any jobs and that's not going to change," said Mohamed, a 22-year-old student and street hawker.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          HSBC spends $1.04b to double China insurer stake

           

             
           

          Top SOE jobs go up for graps globally

           

             
           

          Red Square parade marks WWII victory

           

             
           

          Path of future cross-Strait relations laid down

           

             
           

          N. Korea hints at re-opening stalled talks

           

             
           

          Japan speaks highly of Hu's proposal on ties

           

             
            N.Korea hints at return to nuclear talks
             
            Iraqi president: militants funded from abroad
             
            US offensive in western Iraq kills 75
             
            Red Square parade marks WWII victory
             
            South American, Arab leaders hold summit
             
            China, South Korea press for resumption of 6-way talks
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          Mubarak: Democracy can't come from outside
             
          Mubarak: Arabs hate US more than ever
             
          No one can substitute Arafat: Mubarak
             
          Mubarak departs Egypt for Washington
             
          Mubarak meets Chinese leaders, pledges friendship and trade ties
             
          China's top lawmaker meets Mubarak
             
          Chinese, Egyptian Presidents hold talks
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 日韩精品一区二区三区人| 伊人春色激情综合激情网| 亚洲熟女乱色一区二区三区| 极品蜜桃臀一区二区av| 精品国产中文字幕在线看| 亚洲av无码一区二区三区网站| 国产超碰人人做人人爰| 日本久久久免费高清| 一区二区三区av天堂| 久久97人人超人人超碰超国产| 亚洲VA欧美VA国产综合| 精品国产一区二区三区av性色 | 美日韩av一区二区三区| 国产精品理论片在线观看| 九九热精品免费视频| 亚洲日韩欧美丝袜另类自拍 | 日韩一区日韩二区日韩三区| 五月婷婷中文字幕| 国产成人精品无人区一区| 国产成人精品日本亚洲专区6| 麻豆蜜桃AV蜜臀AV色欲AV| 久久精品第九区免费观看| 亚洲av午夜精品无码专区| 亚洲精品毛片一区二区| 亚洲伊人久久综合精品| 粉嫩一区二区三区精品视频| 日本极品少妇videossexhd| 亚洲精品区二区三区蜜桃| 四虎影视库国产精品一区| 欧美视频精品免费覌看| 免费99精品国产人妻自在现线| 99福利一区二区视频 | 国产亚洲国产亚洲国产亚洲| 免费无码高潮流白浆视频| 国产亚洲精品黑人粗大精选| 精品在免费线中文字幕久久| 国产无遮挡裸体免费久久| 国产在线精品欧美日韩电影| 免费人成年激情视频在线观看| 国产精品毛片一区二区| 青青草无码免费一二三区|