<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Italy, U.S. disagree on agent's Iraq death
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2005-04-30 08:27

          Italy and the United States said Friday they had failed to agree on whether U.S. soldiers were at fault in the death of an Italian intelligence agent in Iraq — an acknowledgment that will further irritate relations and increase pressure on Italy to withdraw its forces from Iraq.

          In a statement, the two countries said their joint investigation into the March 4 death of agent Nicola Calipari had concluded and that they couldn't arrive at any "shared final conclusions."

          The statement said the case had now be referred to respective national authorities; Italy has launched a criminal inquiry into Calipari's death.

          Italian militarymen carry the coffin of Italian secret service agent Nicola Calipari during a funeral ceremony in Rome, 07 March 2005. In a stern warning to Washington, Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi vowed that Italy would 'never endorse' a report on the shooting by US soldiers of an Italian intelligence agent that is unconvincing.(AFP/File
          Italian militarymen carry the coffin of Italian secret service agent Nicola Calipari during a funeral ceremony in Rome, 07 March 2005.[AFP/File]
          Calipari was killed soon after he had secured the release of Italian journalist Giuliana Sgrena from Iraqi militants who had held her hostage for a month. U.S. soldiers fired on the Italians' vehicle as it approached a U.S. checkpoint near Baghdad's airport. Sgrena and another Italian agent were wounded.

          U.S. and Italian experts had worked for over a month on a joint investigation into the killing, which sparked outrage in Italy and put increasing pressure on Premier Silvio Berlusconi to withdraw Italy's estimated 3,000-strong contingent from the country.

          But from the start, testimony from the two survivors clashed with the U.S. military's account.

          The Americans maintain that soldiers fired warning shots in the air, then shot at the engine block because the car was speeding. The survivors insist they saw the beam of a warning light virtually at the same time gunfire broke out. The surviving intelligence agent has also testified he was driving slowly.

          The soldiers had been on high alert at the time because the U.S. ambassador, John Negroponte, had been due to pass by the checkpoint.

          "The investigators did not arrive at shared final conclusions even though, after examining jointly the evidence, they did agree on facts, findings and recommendations on numerous issues," the statement said.

          The admission that the two countries couldn't agree on who was to blame was significant since Italy is Washington's closest European ally after Britain. Berlusconi had weathered fierce opposition at home for having sent troops to Iraq after the war and had put his government's credibility on the line in promising Italians full light would be shed on the incident.

          By late Friday, he was already coming under fire from the leftist opposition for having failed to persuade the Americans to accept the Italian view of the incident.

          Greens lawmaker Alfonso Pecoraro Scanio demanded Berlusconi prepare a withdrawal plan for Italian forces "seeing as we can't even count on those who should be our allies."

          Berlusconi has offered to appear before Parliament to discuss the issue. He has already said he hoped Italian forces could begin returning by September — although he has said the decision would depend on the security situation and would be made in agreement with the United States and other allies.

          An Italian pullout would be another blow to Washington after several American allies — including Ukraine, the Netherlands and Spain — began pulling their troops out of Iraq and Poland announced earlier this month it would withdraw its 1,700 soldiers at the end of the year unless the U.N. Security Council renewed the U.N. mandate.

          Both Rome and Washington tried to put a positive spin on their failure to agree on the incident, saying relations remained close.

          "Italy and United States are strong allies and enjoy a close and vibrant friendship, based on shared values and ideals," the statement said.

          But Foreign Minister Gianfranco Fini didn't try to hide his bitterness in saying there was no way the Italians could have approved of the American version of events.

          "Out of a dutiful homage to Calipari, and out of an indispensable national dignity that a government must have, the Italian government could not have been asked to sign off on reconstruction of the facts that as far as we know does not correspond to what happened that night," he told reporters.

          But in Washington, State Department spokesman Adam Ereli suggested Washington wanted to move beyond the dispute.

          "The mark of a strong relationship is to be able to work together to find the areas of agreement, to accept the areas of disagreement, to put them all in the proper perspective and then to move on," he said.

          He also said the Americans would release a "unilateral" report based on the joint investigation soon, suggesting that each side would release their own version of events.

          Fini said the final report would be released "within a few days," and that it would make clear "why the Italian government could not sign off a reconstruction of events that in our opinion does not capture 100 percent what happened."

          Calipari, hailed at home as a hero, died while trying to shield Sgrena from the gunfire. In the statement, the two countries called Calipari an "extraordinary man" who gave his life for Italy and was "a valued friend of the United States."



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          CPC, KMT leaders vow to end hostility across the Straits

           

             
           

          New authority to oversee energy sector

           

             
           

          EU launches investigation into textile imports

           

             
           

          RMB is not cause of US trade deficit

           

             
           

          Pentagon proposes China-US military hotline

           

             
           

          Deadly Shanghai fire kills 10, injures 19

           

             
            Alleged Zarqawi tape threatens new attacks
             
            Insurgents strike across Iraq, killing 41
             
            Germany enjoying more comfortable ties with Poland
             
            Putin pledges help for Palestinians on visit
             
            Japan Seeks Partnership with India
             
            Iran says time running out for nuclear talks with Europe
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          Bush issues regrets to Italy over death
             
          Italy to pull troops from Iraq in Sept.
             
          Italy PM disputes US version of hostage shooting
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 国产精品毛片一区二区| 亚洲AV永久无码精品一区二区国产| 成人国产精品免费网站| 国产精品 第一页第二页| 日韩内射美女人妻一区二区三区| 国产精品久久无码不卡黑寡妇| 国产69精品久久久久久妇女迅雷| 国产亚洲国产亚洲国产亚洲| 国产精品美女久久久久久麻豆 | 亚洲老女人区一区二视频| 日韩有码中文在线观看| 成年午夜免费韩国做受视频| AV人摸人人人澡人人超碰| 国内精品久久久久久久久久影视 | 亚洲国产在一区二区三区| 天天澡夜夜澡狠狠久久| 国产成人精品无码播放| www.亚洲国产| 色偷偷久久一区二区三区| 日韩精品无码免费专区网站| 亚洲色婷婷一区二区| 色偷偷www.8888在线观看| 蜜桃视频在线网站免费看| 中文字幕人妻精品在线| 西西午夜无码大胆啪啪国模| 亚洲欧洲一区二区福利片| av中文一区二区三区| 人妻有码中文字幕在线| 日本一道本高清一区二区| 久久精品国产视频在热| 国产啪视频免费观看视频| 爱情岛亚洲论坛成人网站| 免费a级黄毛片| 免费欧洲美女牲交视频| 国产成人a在线观看视频| 综合激情网一区二区三区| 亚洲国产精品第一区二区三区 | 亚洲а∨天堂久久精品| 国产97人人超碰CAO蜜芽PROM| 狠狠久久亚洲欧美专区| 国产亚洲精品AA片在线爽|