<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Oil-for-food scandal hindering Annan's attempts to reform UN
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2005-04-21 19:03

          Secretary-General Kofi Annan keeps trying to put the global spotlight on his sweeping proposals to reform the United Nations but every time he does another oil-for-food scandal comes ``tumbling out of the closet,'' the UN leader's chief of staff says.

          As Annan headed to Jakarta to push the reform package at the Asia-Africa summit, which starts Thursday, his top envoy to North Korea, Maurice Strong, suspended work while investigators probe his ties to a South Korean businessman accused of wrongdoing in the humanitarian program in Iraq.

          At the same time, the United Nations is preoccupied with discovering the identities of two high-ranking UN officials cited in a criminal complaint against the businessman, Tongsun Park.

          And Annan's own actions were under fresh scrutiny following Wednesday's revelation that two senior investigators in an oil-for-food probe resigned because they believed a report that cleared the secretary-general of meddling in the $64 billion operation was too soft on him.

          Every revelation ``is incredibly troubling, and worries him ... more than it does anybody,'' Mark Malloch Brown said of the secretary-general. ``It's a very unfortunate fact of life.''

          ``Obviously, we yearn and long to get the conversation back to these vital reforms that we believe, and the secretary-general believes, are the real solution to the problem _ a reformed, strengthened, restructured, refocused, UN,'' Malloch Brown said in an interview Wednesday with two reporters.

          ``Now, oil-for-food keeps on tumbling out of the closet to confront us as many times as we hope we've closed the door on it. And I recognize that. But we're going to keep trying, because it is the solution,'' he said.

          Annan's trip to Indonesia, including a speech Friday to the Asia-Africa summit and a host of one-on-one meetings, is ``an extraordinary opportunity'' to put the UN's case for reform to more than 100 leaders from two key regions whose support is vital, Malloch Brown said.

          The secretary-general is pressing leaders from all 191 UN member states to adopt the reform package at a summit in September _ not cherry-pick the proposals that they like.

          But reform of the powerful UN Security Council has already run into serious trouble, with China opposing Japan's bid for a permanent seat, and supporters of two rival plans for council expansion refusing to budge.

          Malloch Brown expressed hope that before September _ when Annan said he would like the question of council expansion resolved _ the rivals will negotiate, but so far they are not talking.

          ``Obviously, we are very worried that the rest of the package not get lost in this,'' he said.

          In addition to reform, Annan wants world leaders to adopt new proposals to meet the goals they agreed to 2000 to reduce the number of people living in dire poverty by half by 2015, and ensure that by that date every child has an elementary school education and every family has access to clean water and basic sanitation.

          While European countries are backing the secretary-general's call to boost development assistance to 0.7 percent of gross national product to help meet these goals, ``a lot of other donor countries are not looking good at all,'' Malloch Brown said.

          He named four countries that have not set timelines to increase development aid _ the United States, Japan, Canada and Australia.

          The United Nations also needs to work to overcome strong opposition from some countries to other proposals in the package, he said.

          These include creation of a new Human Rights Council, criteria for the Security Council's use of force, and collective action to protect civilians in cases of genocide, ethnic cleansing, and crimes against humanity.

          Whether Annan can make headway on UN reform at the same time as he tries to deal with the oil-for-food scandals remains to be seen.

          Malloch Brown said the United Nations has expressed concern to the State Department and the US Mission that the US Attorney's complaint citing two UN officials without naming them put the world body in ``a very difficult position.''

          ``We would like to know who the US Attorney's office has in mind,'' he said.

          But Richard Grenell, spokesman for the US Mission, said ``the US Attorney's office is a completely independent body. We have no control over how they conduct their business, and we would assert that their independence is a valuable asset.''

          In the run-up to September's summit, oil-for-food is certain to remain in the spotlight.

          At least five investigations are under way in Congress in addition to the US Attorney's probe in New York and the independent inquiry led by former US Federal Reserve chairman Paul Volcker.

          His final report, due in midsummer. is expected to focus on how the oil-for-food program was set up and managed _ which will include Annan's oversight.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          China, France ink Airbus, other deals worth US$4b

           

             
           

          Hu-Koizumi meeting hangs in the balance

           

             
           

          People urged to shun unauthorized marches

           

             
           

          Emerging Asia looking for bigger role

           

             
           

          Chrysler compacts to be made in China for US

           

             
           

          Tougher policies for real estate development

           

             
            US Senate OKs $81B for Iraq, Afghanistan
             
            Missile fire downs chopper in Iraq; 11 die
             
            Ecuador names new cabinet, ousted leader gets asylum
             
            Russia, U.S. clash over Belarus 'dictator'
             
            Israeli minister OKs Gaza pullout delay
             
            Four die as Saudi forces, militants clash in Mecca
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          AP: Oil-for-food investigators resign
             
          Annan says did not know of Korea envoy ties
             
          US senate panel delays vote on Bolton to U.N.
             
          U.N. panel widens Congo arms embargo
             
          US backs Japan's UNSC bid despite setback to momentum
             
          Four charged in U.N. oil-for-food scandal
             
          Rivalries overwhelm debate on U.N council
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 中文 在线 日韩 亚洲 欧美| 石原莉奈日韩一区二区三区| 最新国产精品拍自在线观看| 久久777国产线看是看精品| 国产亚洲精品VA片在线播放| 性一交一乱一乱一视频| 在线看片免费人成视久网| 亚洲av永久无码精品秋霞电影影院| 亚洲国产高清av网站| 中文字幕乱码一区二区免费| 国产精品爽爽ⅴa在线观看| 亚洲av永久无码精品水牛影视| 蜜臀在线播放一区在线播放| 韩国福利片在线观看播放| 亚洲国产性夜夜综合| 国产精品无码免费播放| 午夜福利一区二区三区在线观看| chinese乱国产伦video| 久久天天躁狠狠躁夜夜婷| 一区二区精品| 亚洲精品无码日韩国产不卡av | 国内自拍偷拍一区二区三区| 免费A级毛片中文字幕| 啦啦啦高清视频在线观看| 麻豆精品一区二区综合av| 无码aⅴ精品一区二区三区| 亚洲熟伦熟女新五十熟妇| 视频二区亚洲精品| 成人国产精品一区二区不卡| 在线日韩日本国产亚洲| 乱人伦人妻中文字幕无码久久网| 国产熟睡乱子伦午夜视频| 超清无码一区二区三区| 亚洲+成人+国产| 一级毛片网| 亚洲av在线观看| 国内精品久久人妻无码不卡 | 国产精一区二区黑人巨大| 国产一区二区精品久久岳| 久久婷婷五月综合97色直播| 一区二区三区四区黄色片|