<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Thousands of Shi'ites protest U.S. forces in Iraq
          (agencies)
          Updated: 2005-04-10 09:21

          Thousands of supporters of rebel Shi'ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr marched in Baghdad on Saturday to denounce the U.S. presence in Iraq and call for a speedy trial of Saddam Hussein on the second anniversary of his overthrow.


          Shi'ite protestors demonstrate against the continued U.S. military presence in Iraq in Najaf on April 9, 2005. Tens of thousands of followers of a rebel Shi'ite cleric marched in Baghdad to denounce the U.S. presence in Iraq and demand a speedy trial of Saddam Hussein, on the second anniversary of his overthrow. [Reuters]

          Chanting "No, no to the occupiers," thousands of young and old men gathered in the poor Shi'ite district of Sadr City to begin a planned peaceful march to Firdos Square, the central Baghdad spot where Saddam's statue was torn down two years ago.

          Crowds of Sadr's supporters from across the country were already gathered at the square by mid-morning, waving Iraqi flags and calling out: "No America! No Saddam! Yes to Islam!."

          Sunni Muslims, many of whom also strongly oppose U.S. forces, were expected to join the demonstration, the Muslim Clerics' Association, an influential Sunni body, said.

          "Many of our brothers, including Sunnis, have welcomed the call and will take part," said Sheikh Abdul-Hadi al-Daraji, a spokesman for Sadr, as crowds behind him shouted "No, no America!." "We hope it's going to be one million people strong."

          Followers of Sadr from the southern Shi'ite cities of Basra, Amara and Nassiriya traveled hundreds of miles to join the protest, showing the appeal the young cleric can command.

          The demonstration was expected to be the largest since the Jan. 30 election and the first since the new government began to take shape.

          Sadr, a low-ranking cleric in his mid-30s, oversees a militia force called the Mehdi Army that is thought to be several thousand strong. He led two violent uprisings against U.S. forces last year, sparking weeks of fighting.

          Iraqi security forces shut down central Baghdad ahead of the demonstration, but were not expecting problems.

          "We're quite relaxed about it," said Sabah Kadhim, a spokesman for the Interior Ministry, which is overseeing security arrangements.

          "The demonstration is supporting what the Iraqi people and the Iraqi government have said they want -- a trial for Saddam and the departure of U.S. forces," he said.

          "We don't think this is going to be a huge number -- it's not going to be a million-man-march -- but we are taking precautions as we have done over recent months."

          U.S. forces were not in evidence on the streets, but Kadhim said they could be called in to support if needed.

          ANTI-U.S. SENTIMENT

          Firdos Square has become a central rallying place for Iraqis since Saddam's overthrow two years ago. U.S. forces last year shut down the square, sealing it off with razor wire, to prevent people massing on the first anniversary.

          Saturday's protest taps into the growing frustration among large swathes of the Iraqi population against the U.S. presence in the country. Even many Iraqis who would not take up arms against the Americans still want troops to leave soon.

          Scandals such as the abuse of Iraqi detainees by U.S. soldiers at Abu Ghraib prison and the deaths of Iraqi detainees in U.S. custody have exacerbated the situation. More than 10,000 Iraqis are being held by U.S. forces, most without trial.

          There is also disbelief that more than two years since the war, Saddam and his senior lieutenants have still not been tried. Trials are expected to begin later this year, although Saddam is unlikely to be one of the first to appear in court.

          The protest comes as efforts are still being made to complete the formation of a government nearly 10 weeks since the election. Earlier this week a president and two vice presidents were named, along with a prime minister.

          But the prime minister, Islamist Shi'ite leader Ibrahim al-Jaafari, is still working on his cabinet and has said it could take him up to two weeks before it is named.

          Iraqi officials have cautioned that the longer it takes to form a government the more it will play into the hands of insurgents, who will view authorities as weak and indecisive.

          While there is evidence of a tapering off in insurgent activity since the election -- attacks against U.S. forces have fallen more than 20 percent in the past two months -- there continue to be more than 40 attacks a day.

          On Friday, a U.S. soldier was killed in a roadside bomb blast north of Baghdad, raising to at least 1,540 the number of U.S. troops who have lost their lives in Iraq.

          On Saturday, the bodies of 15 Iraqi soldiers were found in the lawless area just south of Baghdad, Iraqi police said. Police said the soldiers were in a truck that was stopped by insurgents on Friday. All the men had been shot.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          US, China agree to hold regular senior-level talks

           

             
           

          Lien Chan expected to visit mainland in May

           

             
           

          Nation steels itself against further price hikes

           

             
           

          Thousands rally against Japan in Beijing

           

             
           

          Living in the lap of luxury stirs debate

           

             
           

          Legislator turns out to be robbery suspect

           

             
            Thousands protest on Baghdad anniversary
             
            U.S. pushing Japan to boost military role
             
            Britain admits Iraq intelligence was wrong
             
            DPRK warns to strengthen nuclear deterrent
             
            Indian FM Natwar Singh to visit US next week
             
            Charles, Camilla finally tie knot after 35 years
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 国产欧美日韩免费看AⅤ视频| 国产高清自产拍av在线| 少妇被黑人到高潮喷出白浆| 国产综合精品日本亚洲777| www插插插无码免费视频网站| 天天躁夜夜躁狠狠喷水| 国产又爽又黄的精品视频| 一区二区中文字幕久久| 国产爆乳乱码女大生Av| 国产成+人+综合+欧美亚洲| 无码伊人66久久大杳蕉网站谷歌| 少妇真人直播app| 久久婷婷色综合一区二区| 国产香蕉国产精品偷在线观看| 亚洲无人区码一二三区别| 最新国产AV最新国产在钱| 国产熟睡乱子伦午夜视频| 欧洲成人午夜精品无码区久久| 国产亚洲欧美精品一区| 在线日韩一区二区| 内射中出无码护士在线| 国产高颜值不卡一区二区| 国产中文三级全黄| 国产精品福利自产拍久久| 青青热在线精品视频免费观看| 免费无码又爽又刺激网站直播| 亚洲aⅴ天堂av在线电影| 亚洲夫妻性生活视频网站| 国产综合视频精品一区二区| 色爱av综合网国产精品| 久爱www人成免费网站| 亚洲欧美偷拍另类A∨| 中文字幕在线日韩一区| 五月一区二区久久综合天堂| 免费人成在线观看网站品爱网| 狠狠色综合久久丁香婷婷| 天堂网av最新版在线看| 怡红院一区二区三区在线| 人妻无码中文字幕| 亚洲成A人一区二区三区| 国产亚洲女人久久久精品|