<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Annan's son faces fresh allegations in UN scandal
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2005-03-24 09:31

          The United Nations on Wednesday faced fresh allegations against Secretary-General Kofi Annan's son in the oil-for-food scandal but predicted the U.N. chief himself would be vindicated.

          At issue is an independent probe into wrongdoing in the U.N.-administered $67 billion oil-for-food program for Iraq, conducted by Paul Volcker, the former U.S. Federal Reservechairman. Volcker releases another report next Tuesday on whether Annan through his son influenced the contract bidding.

          Mark Malloch Brown, Annan's chief of staff told a news conference the secretary-general believed he would "be fully vindicated" of any allegations he had a role in awarding a goods inspection contract in 1998 to the Swiss firm Cotecna .

          UN Secretary General Kofi Annan holds a press conference following an address to the UN General Assembly at UN headquarters in New York. Annan's son, Kojo Annan, received at least 300,000 dollars from a former employer Cotecna, a Swiss inspections concern involved in the UN Oil for Food program. [AFP/File]
          UN Secretary General Kofi Annan holds a press conference following an address to the UN General Assembly at UN headquarters in New York. Annan's son, Kojo Annan, received at least 300,000 dollars from a former employer Cotecna, a Swiss inspections concern involved in the UN Oil for Food program. [AFP/File]
          "The fact is that Kojo has confirmed himself that he misled his father," Malloch Brown said in reference to the younger Annan's relationship with Cotecna. "We believe on Tuesday the secretary-general will be exonerated of any wrongdoing but like you we have to wait for the report."

          But Malloch Brown confirmed a report in The Financial Times that Annan had met twice with Cotecna officials before the contract was awarded and once afterward.

          He said Cotecna officials approached the secretary-general at a public event and then saw him by way of a courtesy call through an acquaintance to talk about U.N. participation in a "national lottery" and not the oil-for-food program.

          Kojo Annan at first said he was a trainee at Cotecna in West Africa and left the firm in 1997. But payments continued well afterward and The Financial Times said they reached $300,000 but was not certain if they related to Iraq.

          Under the oil-for food program, which began in December 1996 and ended in November 2003, Iraq was allowed to sell oil to buy civilian goods in order to ease the impact of 1990 sanctions on ordinary Iraqis.

          Former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein's government siphoned nearly $2 billion in kickbacks from companies conducting business under the program, a key U.S. report showed.

          LEGAL FEES QUESTIONED

          The Volcker commission also disputed a U.N. statement that it had offered to pay legal fees to Benon Sevan, former head of the program, to get his cooperation in the investigation.

          The Volcker commission in its last interim report on Feb 3. said Sevan had a "grave" conflict of interest by his actions as head of the program.

          On Wednesday, the commission said that Sevan was permitted to have an attorney during interviews only because he was "the single individual against whom the most serious and direct allegations of corruption had been made, as of that time."

          "This exception was not motivated, as suggested by the United Nations's statement by a desire to induce Mr Sevan to cooperate," the inquiry committee said.

          "We booped. We got it wrong," Malloch Brown said. He said the U.N. statement "misrepresented the position of the panel through a poor syntax and juxtaposition of sentences."

          No money has yet been paid to Sevan and the United Nations said it was questioning some of his reimbursement claims and would not pay fees after Feb 3, the date of the Volcker report.

          A U.S. official said Washington was unaware of the offer and was looking into it. Another senior Security Council ambassador called it a "crass decision" to use Iraqi money.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          'Three-good' student system under revision

           

             
           

          Japan's bid for UNSC seat opposed

           

             
           

          Beijing unveils security plan for Olympics

           

             
           

          Hu: Nation willing to restart nuke talks

           

             
           

          EU official calls China embargo 'unfair'

           

             
           

          Watchdog investigates baby oil fears

           

             
            Arab leaders relaunch peace offer
             
            UK troops set to stay in Iraq until 2006
             
            Sharon overcomes key hurdle to Gaza pullout
             
            Iran says won't drop nuke plans
             
            Kyrgyz leader sacks interior minister, prosecutor
             
            Putin to visit Israel - a first for Russia
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          UN chief 'shocked' by attack on UN chopper in Abkhazia
             
          Annan begins campaign for UN reforms
             
          Oil firm chief in Singapore free on bail
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 国产在线无码精品无码| 亚洲欧洲日产国码中文字幕| 高清国产亚洲精品自在久久 | 日韩a片无码一区二区五区电影 | 九九热视频在线观看视频| 欧美寡妇xxxx黑人猛交| 国产精品无码不卡在线播放| 日本高清www无色夜在线视频| 精品无码国产污污污免费| 成人拍拍拍无遮挡免费视频| 国产免费一区二区三区在线观看| 东京热一区二区三区在线| 国产精品粉嫩嫩在线观看| 亚洲www啪成人一区二区麻豆| 国产午夜91福利一区二区| 在线观看亚洲精品国产| 久久久精品人妻无码专区不卡| 中文字幕久久人妻熟人妻| 国产午夜成人精品视频app| 精品嫩模福利一区二区蜜臀| 男女xx00xx的视频免费观看| 国产91精品调教在线播放| 亚洲色成人一区二区三区| 黑森林福利视频导航| 亚洲日韩久热中文字幕| 国产成人女人在线观看| 老熟女熟妇一区二区三区| 麻花传媒在线观看免费| 热久在线免费观看视频| 欧美颜射内射中出口爆在线| 国产成人精品日本亚洲77上位| 99午夜精品亚洲一区二区| 人xxxx性xxxxx欧美| 日韩精品一区二区亚洲av| 亚洲中文字幕无码一久久区| 日韩精品在线观看一二区| 欧洲无码一区二区三区在线观看| 大肉大捧一进一出好爽视频mba| 亚洲熟女乱综合一区二区三区| 69精品丰满人妻无码视频a片| 亚洲AV无码成H人动漫无遮挡|