<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Document: Bin Laden evaded US forces
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2005-03-23 07:29

          WASHINGTON - A terror suspect held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, was a commander for Osama bin Laden during the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan in the 1980s and helped the al-Qaida leader escape his mountain hide-out at Tora Bora in 2001, according to a U.S. government document.

          The United States needs to focus on severing terror mastermind Osama bin laden's links with his Al-Qaeda network, US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said. A US document indicates that bin Laden escaped from US forces in 2001 from the Tora Bora region strike.[AFP/file]
          The United States needs to focus on severing terror mastermind Osama bin laden's links with his Al-Qaeda network, US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said. A US document indicates that bin Laden escaped from US forces in 2001 from the Tora Bora region strike.[AFP/file]
          The document, provided to The Associated Press in response to a Freedom of Information request, says the unidentified detainee "assisted in the escape of Osama bin Laden from Tora Bora." It is the first definitive statement from the Pentagon that bin Laden was at Tora Bora and evaded U.S. pursuers.

          The detainee is not identified by name or nationality. He is described as being "associated with" al-Qaida and having called for a jihad, or holy war, against the United States.

          In an indication that he might be a higher-level operative, the document says he "had bodyguards" and collaborated with regional al-Qaida leadership. "The detainee was one of Osama bin Laden's commanders during the Soviet jihad," it says, referring to the holy war against Soviet occupiers.

          The events at Tora Bora were a point of contention during last year's presidential race, and Bush as well as Vice President Dick Cheney asserted that commanders did not know whether bin Laden was there when U.S. and allied Afghan forces attacked the area in December 2001.

          Cheney said last Oct. 26 that Gen. Tommy Franks, the commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan, had "stated repeatedly it was not at all certain that bin Laden was in Tora Bora. He might have been there or in Pakistan or even Kashmir," the Indian-controlled Himalayan region.

          Franks, now retired, wrote in an opinion column in The New York Times last Oct. 19, "We don't know to this day whether Mr. bin Laden was at Tora Bora in December 2001." He added that intelligence assessments of his location varied, but bin Laden was "never within our grasp."

          On several occasions in the days following publication of that column, Bush cited it on the campaign trail as evidence that bin Laden could have been in any of several countries in December 2001. "That's what Tommy Franks, who knew what he's talking about, said," Bush said on Oct. 27.

          Sen. John Kerry, the Democratic presidential nominee, lambasted Bush during the campaign for having missed a chance to capture or kill bin Laden at Tora Bora, a mountainous area along the Pakistan border that became al-Qaida's last stand in Afghanistan. U.S. warplanes bombarded the area in December 2001, and Franks had Afghan soldiers lead the ground assault, backed by several thousand U.S. ground troops, including Special Forces, in a cave-to-cave search.

          The newly revealed statement is contained in a document the Pentagon calls a "summary of evidence" against one of 558 prisoners at Guantanamo Bay. It was provided to the AP this week.

          The evidence was summarized last December 14 for a Guantanamo Bay hearing to determine whether the prisoner was correctly held as an "enemy combatant."

          The assertion about his efforts and bin Laden's escape is made as a statement of fact; it does not indicate how the information was obtained.

          Navy Lt. Cmdr. Daryl Borgquist, a spokesman for the Combatant Status Review Board for which the document was prepared, said Tuesday he could not elaborate on the Tora Bora statement, or its sources, because the statement was derived from classified information.

          Bin Laden, whose al-Qaida terrorist organization was behind the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks in the United States, had operated from Afghanistan until the U.S. invasion in October 2001.

          He remains at large. For many months, officials have said they believe bin Laden probably is hiding in the Afghan-Pakistan border region, although last week Gen. Richard Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, declined to endorse that view, saying bin Laden's whereabouts were unknown.

          In mid-December 2001, a spokesman for the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Rear Adm. John Stufflebeem, told reporters there had been "indicators" of bin Laden's presence at Tora Bora in early December.

          "And now indicators are not there," Stufflebeem said. "So maybe he still is there, maybe he was killed, or maybe he's left."

          Among documents stating the U.S. government's evidence against other detainees at Guantanamo Bay is a September 2004 assertion that an unidentified detainee, described as a member of al-Qaida, had traveled from the United States to Afghanistan in November 2001 — two months after the terrorist attacks that killed nearly 3,000 people in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania.

          The document does not elaborate on the detainee's U.S. connection, but says he arrived in Afghanistan via Bahrain and Iran. He was "present at Tora Bora," crossed the Afghan border into Pakistan in December 2001, and surrendered to Pakistani authorities, the document says.

          The detainee also was arrested by Saudi authorities for questioning in the 1996 terrorist bombing of Khobar Towers in Saudi Arabia that killed 19 members of the U.S. Air Force, the document says.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Pak: DPRK ready to return to nuclear talks

           

             
           

          EU urged to lift 'outdated' arms embargo

           

             
           

          Official on trial for selling high-level jobs

           

             
           

          Thirsty countryside demands safe water

           

             
           

          Beijing makes a perfect FORTUNE forum

           

             
           

          Textile firms to take EU ruling to WTO

           

             
            Iran says won't drop nuke plans
             
            Putin to visit Israel - a first for Russia
             
            Schiavo's parents file new appeal
             
            EU ministers seen moving to back Wolfowitz
             
            Baghdad shopkeepers kill three militants
             
            Motive sought in Minn. school rampage
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          Bin Laden trail lost last year: Musharraf
             
          Bin Laden enlisting Al-Zarqawi for attacks
             
          US commander: Bin Laden could be in Afghanistan
             
          Bin Laden tape calls for boycott
             
          Bin Laden: Goal is to bankrupt U.S.
             
          Bin Laden: U.S. can avoid another attack
             
          General: Bin Laden still issuing orders
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 成人福利国产一区二区| 欧美熟妇另类久久久久久多毛| 欧美日韩一线| 人妻有码中文字幕在线| 国产女主播白浆在线观看| 欧美大胆老熟妇乱子伦视频| 精品无人区无码乱码毛片国产| 国产免费午夜福利片在线| 电影在线观看+伦理片| 国产一区二区三区禁18| 国产福利萌白酱在线观看视频| 国精产品一二二线精东| 久久人与动人物a级毛片| 免费 国产 无码久久久| 91亚洲国产成人精品性色| 18av千部影片| 国产精品国产三级国av | 入禽太深在线观看免费高清| 国产精品亚洲综合网一区| 一区二区三区在线观看日本视频| 日韩一区二区三区女优丝袜| 成人性生交片无码免费看| 国产精品 无码专区| 在线a亚洲v天堂网2018| 欧美日韩视频综合一区无弹窗| 中文字幕在线视频不卡一区二区 | 色爱av综合网国产精品| 亚洲欧美在线综合一区二区三区| 一本色道婷婷久久欧美| 中国少妇嫖妓BBWBBW| L日韩欧美看国产日韩欧美| 男女高潮喷水在线观看| 亚洲日本VA一区二区三区| 国产情侣激情在线对白| 久久青青草原精品国产app| 国产一区二区三区尤物视频| 韩国三级+mp4| 国产伦精品一区二区三区| 久久精品中文字幕少妇| 国产三级精品三级在线专区1| 嫩草院一区二区乱码|