<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Israel, Palestinians dispute handover
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2005-03-10 09:00

          Israel and the Palestinians deadlocked Wednesday over returning control of West Bank towns to Palestinian control, extending a stalemate that threatens to increase frustration and anger that could lead to increased violence after a monthlong truce.

          Despite the risk of losing momentum in peace efforts, both sides clung to their positions.

          The Palestinians insisted Israel remove army roadblocks around the towns and lift travel restrictions. Israel said it cannot take security risks until Palestinian security forces do a better job reining in militants.

          An Israeli soldier mans the main army checkpoint at the entrance of the West Bank town of Jericho Wednesday March 9, 2005. Israeli and Palestinian security commanders failed to reach agreement Wednesday on the handover of Jericho to Palestinian security control, participants said. [AP]
          An Israeli soldier mans the main army checkpoint at the entrance of the West Bank town of Jericho Wednesday March 9, 2005. Israeli and Palestinian security commanders failed to reach agreement Wednesday on the handover of Jericho to Palestinian security control, participants said. [AP]
          The quiet, isolated oasis of Jericho was the unlikely focus of the disagreement. Its handover had been expected to be a relatively simple affair, and the unexpected stall raised concerns that the two sides would have worse trouble settling far thornier issues down the road.

          Washington's new envoy, William Ward, a U.S. Army general, was due to take up his new post Thursday, and Paul Patin, spokesman for the U.S. Embassy in Tel Aviv, raised the possibility that Ward would intervene in the negotiations. "Security coordination is his brief," he said.

          On Wednesday, two meetings of Israeli and Palestinian security commanders in Jericho broke up without agreement, and no new talks were scheduled. The breakdown came a day after Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas and Israeli Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz failed to settle the dispute over the roadblocks north and south of Jericho.

          Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qureia accused Israel of dragging its feet, and the violent Islamic group Hamas warned that Israel "will be held fully responsible for the consequences."

          In a curious twist, the disagreement over Jericho appeared to focus mostly on a gleaming luxury casino and hotel just outside town. Built during the heyday of Israeli-Palestinian peacemaking in the mid-1990s, the Oasis casino closed after the outbreak of violence in the fall of 2000 kept away its mainly Israeli customers.

          Many Palestinians in Jericho are hoping that peace will bring the Israelis back, restoring jobs and boosting the town's battered tourism-based economy. At its height, the casino and adjacent hotel employed 1,600 Palestinians and 450 foreigners, but now only about 60 workers maintain the building.

          Haj Ismail Jabr, the top Palestinian security official in the West Bank (L), shakes hands with Tal Ruso, the Israeli military chief of the Jordan Valley area, during their meeting in the West Bank city of Jericho.(AFP/Awad Awad)
          Haj Ismail Jabr, the top Palestinian security official in the West Bank (L), shakes hands with Tal Ruso, the Israeli military chief of the Jordan Valley area, during their meeting in the West Bank city of Jericho.[AFP]
          "Without tourists, without the visitors, we die," said Amer Samih, 29, a taxi driver.

          Everything looked ready at the casino Wednesday. The floors sparkled, chairs were neatly stacked on the tables, chips piled carefully on the gaming tables. Slot machines blinked and whirred.

          Security manager Hans Holek said returning West Bank towns, including Jericho, to Palestinian control would calm the area and allow the casino to reopen.

          "We have to have a certain level of stability. When the cities reopen, then we can begin to make financial plans," he said.

          But the Israelis don't think the time is right yet. A ban on Israeli citizens entering Palestinian areas is still in force, and one of the Israeli checkpoints the Palestinians wanted removed stands between Israel and the casino.

          The roadblock stands in the desert, with soldiers checking vehicles entering and exiting Jericho. Planted on the rocky ground nearby are air-conditioned trailers for commanders and the district liaison office. A 25-foot-high concrete wall protects the trailers from car bombs.

          In recent months, the Israeli military has taken steps to ease long waits at the checkpoint, opening a second lane for incoming traffic. But residents say they are often held up for an hour or more.

          Israeli officials say removing the roadblock would endanger Vered Yericho, a nearby Jewish settlement of 160 residents.

          "Without lifting the roadblocks, the handover will be meaningless," said Saeb Erekat, a Palestinian government official who lives in Jericho.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          People's congress prepared to 'fulfil history'

           

             
           

          Lenovo wins US nod to buy IBM PC

           

             
           

          Corrupt officials seized and punished

           

             
           

          State banks urged to reform with gov't input

           

             
           

          41 corpses found in Iraq; blast kills four

           

             
           

          China hints at death penalty reform

           

             
            Rice to make Asia trip, talking about N. Korea
             
            Pro-Syria PM set to return, seek unity
             
            Israeli officials could face charges over outposts
             
            Gorbachev warns Putin of possible unrest
             
            41 corpses found in Iraq; blast kills four
             
            Hundreds continue protest in Kyrgyzstan
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          Israeli officials could face charges over outposts
             
          Palestinians to control West Bank town
             
          Violence stifles Abbas' attempts at order
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 精品黄色av一区二区三区| 亚洲精品欧美综合四区| 亚洲国产成人精品女久久| 樱桃视频影院在线播放| 在线观看潮喷失禁大喷水无码| 国产精品麻豆成人AV电影艾秋| 国产av永久无码天堂影院| 精品中文人妻在线不卡| 少妇和邻居做不戴套视频| 国产短视频精品一区二区| 国产真人无码作爱视频免费| 美女扒开内裤无遮挡禁18| 精品少妇av蜜臀av| 亚洲成av人在线播放无码| 亚洲精品综合久中文字幕| 国产精品久久久久鬼色| av色蜜桃一区二区三区| 欧美一级高清片久久99| av色蜜桃一区二区三区| 韩国青草无码自慰直播专区| 暖暖在线视频成人日本二区| 一区二区三区精品视频免费播放 | 亚洲永久精品一区二区三区| 综合国产综合亚洲综合| 久久香蕉国产线看观看怡红院妓院| 成 年 人 黄 色 大 片大 全| 精品九九人人做人人爱| 在线观看国产精品日本不卡网| 另类 专区 欧美 制服| 三上悠亚ssⅰn939无码播放 | 成本人视频免费网站| 国产99青青成人A在线| 四虎永久在线精品免费视频观看| 亚洲欧洲精品一区二区| 亚洲 卡通 欧美 制服 中文| 久久涩综合一区二区三区| 91福利国产在线在线播放| 激情综合网激情五月我去也| 人人妻人人狠人人爽| 亚洲少妇一区二区三区老| 中文日产幕无线码一区中文|