<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Iraq wants money back; Annan promises action
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2005-02-05 09:55

          Iraq said it wanted its money back from the scandal-tainted U.N. oil-for-food program on Friday as Secretary-General Kofi Annan vowed to get to the bottom of wrongdoing by U.N. staff.

          "Huge sums of money which should have served the needs of the Iraqi people who were suffering at that time -- a lot of these resources were squandered and misspent," said Iraq's U.N. ambassador, Samir Sumaidaie.

          Iraq, he said, should at minimum not have to pay for the independent probe set up by the United Nations from remaining oil-for-food funds. The inquiry panel has spent $30 million so far, with the approval of the Security Council.

          United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan speaks at a press conference at the United Nations in New York on February 4, 2005 where he discussed the interim report of the Independent Inquiry Committee into the United Nations Oil-for-Food Program and pledged to get to the bottom of the wrongdoing. The report was released on February 3, 2005. [Reuters]
          United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan speaks at a press conference at the United Nations in New York on February 4, 2005 where he discussed the interim report of the Independent Inquiry Committee into the United Nations Oil-for-Food Program and pledged to get to the bottom of the wrongdoing. The report was released on February 3, 2005. [Reuters]
          A new report by Paul Volcker, the former U.S. Federal Reserve chairman appointed by Annan to probe the $67 billion program, found that the director of the plan, Benon Sevan, helped steer oil contracts to a relative of former U.N. Secretary-General Boutros Boutros-Ghali.

          The report does not accuse any U.N. officials of getting bribes. But it says Sevan received $160,000 from an aunt in Cyrus, who has since died and had few resources.

          "We are as determined as everyone to get to the bottom of this. We do not want this shadow to hang over the U.N.," Annan said as he arrived at headquarters.

          Annan said U.N. officials would be disciplined and diplomatic immunity would be lifted if criminal acts were committed.

          Among other questionable deals in the report was one in which another U.N. official, Joseph Stephanides, colluded with a former British U.N. ambassador so that Lloyd's Register Inspection Ltd. could get a lucrative contract. Volcker said Stephanides was anxious to get the program underway.

          The report said a more thorough audit of the humanitarian program might have uncovered cheating by Saddam Hussein's government. A CIA report estimated Saddam skimmed $1.7 billion from the program and another $8 billion through illegal oil sales outside it, some permitted by the security council.

          DUBIOUS CHOICES

          Investigators questioned Boutros-Ghali for choosing the Banque Nationale de Paris, now BNP-Paribas, to handle the program's account. He did so after council members asked him to select a bank but was criticized for asking Iraq its preference.

          The program began in late 1996 and ended in November 2003, after the United States overthrew Saddam. Iraq was allowed to sell oil to buyers of its choosing and contract for food and other necessities to ease hardships caused by U.N. sanctions.

          In Washington, State Department spokesman Adam Ereli said, "One should not let the corruption and the distortion of the program completely overshadow the fact that it did, to an important extent, serve the purposes for which it was designed.

          "Was it perfect? Was it free of manipulation? No. But did it help? Yes," he said.

          Volcker's 240-page report was a preliminary survey, with a final one to be produced in June. He said he may have another interim report on the alleged role of Annan's son, who had worked for a Swiss company that replaced Lloyd's in 1998.

          The Iraqi ambassador said the United Nations received $1.14 billion to administer oil-for-food and wanted to see how much reached its destination or was squandered by outside contractors working for the world body.

          "The question arises whether the secretariat is subject to its own political culture, which tends to subvert the will of the Security Council," said Sumaidaie. "This is serious."

          He did not blame the council, which approved contracts.

          Several investigations are underway in the United States, the most extensive one in the U.S. Attorney's office in New York and at least eight in the U.S. Congress.

          Sen. Richard G. Lugar, the Republican chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee, said "part of the blame for the current imbroglio lies with the U.N." but that one had to recognize that council members, including the United States, "must also answer questions as to why they, too, did not pay greater scrutiny to this program."



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          College girls step into beauty controversy

           

             
           

          US Congress move on RMB unproductive

           

             
           

          Trains take the holiday travel strain

           

             
           

          Japan to talk about end of China loans - media

           

             
           

          US general: it is 'fun to shoot some people'

           

             
           

          Female journalist kidnapped in Baghdad

           

             
            Shiite ticket has big lead in Iraq vote
             
            Rice says diplomacy can succeed in Iran
             
            Al-Qaeda plot against London 'inevitable'
             
            Iraq wants money back; Annan promises action
             
            U.N.: Detainees may develop psychosis
             
            Sharon urges Palestinians to fight terror
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          Annan vows action against UN staff in Iraq program
             
          Annan plans shake-up of management team shortly
             
          Annan: Tsunami damage gives clues to climate peril
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 精品999日本久久久影院| 少妇人妻偷人偷人精品| 99热亚洲人色精品国产88| 老熟妇老熟女老女人天堂| 乱人伦中文字幕成人网站在线| 俄罗斯少妇性XXXX另类| 精品国产911在线观看| 亚洲熟妇自偷自拍另类 | 不卡国产一区二区三区| 国产亚洲欧美另类一区二区三区| 人妻精品中文字幕av| 日本高清免费毛片久久| 国产免费人成网站在线播放| 精品 日韩 国产 欧美 视频| 久久精品国产亚洲av天海翼 | 欧美熟妇另类久久久久久多毛| 亚洲av成人网人人蜜臀| 国产99在线 | 免费| 国产mv在线天堂mv免费观看| 丰满人妻一区二区三区高清精品| 日韩亚洲欧美中文高清在线| 67194熟妇在线直接进入| 啦啦啦在线观看播放视频www | 99久久精品久久久久久婷婷 | 四虎永久精品免费视频| 无遮挡边吃摸边吃奶边做| 国产91丝袜在线观看| 国产精品一区二区三区三级| 麻豆精品久久久久久久99蜜桃| 欧美日韩精品一区二区视频| 自拍欧美亚洲| 蜜臀av一区二区精品字幕| 久久久av男人的天堂| 国产色a在线观看| 国产综合色精品一区二区三区| 永久免费av无码网站直播| 精品无码久久久久成人漫画| 亚洲欧美国产成人综合欲网| 久久超碰色中文字幕超清| 中文字幕少妇人妻视频| 日韩国产精品区一区二区|