<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Sharon cuts ties with Abbas over violence
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2005-01-15 08:27

          In a startling reversal, Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon cut all contact Friday with the newly elected Palestinian leader and said Mahmoud Abbas must halt militant attacks if he wants peace talks.

          The timing of the decision — on the eve of Abbas' inauguration — was a major snub.

          Sharon's action came after Palestinian militants killed six Israelis in a bombing and shooting attack at a Gaza Strip crossing and dampened hopes the two sides would quickly return to the negotiating table after four years of conflict.

          Palestinian Authority president-elect Mahmoud Abbas, also know as Abu Mazen, gestures as he leaves his office in the West Bank city of Ramallah, Friday Jan.14, 2005. A bombing-and-shooting attack by Palestinian militants at the Karni crossing, the Gaza Strip's main lifeline, marked the first major challenge by militants to Abbas, who has spoken out against violence and has said he would try to negotiate a truce. [AP]
          Palestinian Authority president-elect Mahmoud Abbas, also know as Abu Mazen, gestures as he leaves his office in the West Bank city of Ramallah, Friday Jan.14, 2005. A bombing-and-shooting attack by Palestinian militants at the Karni crossing, the Gaza Strip's main lifeline, marked the first major challenge by militants to Abbas, who has spoken out against violence and has said he would try to negotiate a truce. [AP]
          The Israeli leadership had initially said it would not retaliate for Thursday's attack and would give Abbas time to rein in the militants, though one Israeli lawmaker warned Abbas "does not have 100 days of grace."

          But later Friday, Sharon's spokesman announced the Israeli leader was severing contact with Abbas until he acts against the militants.

          "Israel informed international leaders today that there will be no meetings with Abbas until he makes a real effort to stop the terror," Sharon spokesman Assaf Shariv said.

          Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon (news - web sites) is seen here 12 January 2005. The US administration had no formal reaction to Sharon's suspension of contacts with the Palestinians and their new leader Mahmud Abbas after a deadly bomb attack on the Gaza Strip (news - web sites)(AFP/File)
          Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon is seen 12 January 2005. The US administration had no formal reaction to Sharon's suspension of contacts with the Palestinians and their new leader Mahmud Abbas after a deadly bomb attack on the Gaza Strip. [AFP/File]
          Hopes had been high following Abbas' election last Sunday to replace Yasser Arafat that the two sides would be able to return to the negotiating table. Israel and the United States had refused to deal with Arafat, accusing him of fomenting terror. Abbas is viewed as a moderate and pragmatic leader.

          Shariv said Israel decided to cut ties because Thursday night's bombing-and-shooting attack at the Karni crossing, Gaza's main lifeline, was launched from a Palestinian Authority base.

          Three Palestinian gunmen were killed in the attack, and three armed groups claimed responsibility, including Hamas and the Al Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades, which has ties to Abbas' ruling Fatah movement. Hamas released a video showing the three militants holding rifles and standing in front of their organizations' flags. The video then shows parts of the attack with a large explosion lighting the night sky.

          Palestinian Cabinet Minister Saeb Erekat urged Israel to rethink its decision to cut ties. "We call on the Israelis to resume a meaningful peace process and dialogue because this is the only way to break the vicious cycle of violence," Erekat said.

          The Gaza attack marked the militants' first major challenge to Abbas. Abbas said both the Karni attack and Israeli military operations in recent days "do not benefit the peace process."

          In a meeting Friday with Arab Israeli lawmakers, Abbas said he would not use force against the militants, as Israel demands, but would try to negotiate a truce.

          Abbas reiterated this in a letter to Arab foreign ministers, laying out his plans for rehabilitating the Palestinian Authority.

          "We have stressed that our commitment to the cease-fire will be based on a national Palestinian agreement," said Palestinian Foreign Minister Nabil Shaath, who sent the letters signed by Abbas and Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qureia.

          During the meeting with Arab lawmakers, Abbas said he was upset with Israel for holding him responsible for attacks before he was even sworn in as Palestinian leader, Taleb Al Sana, one of the legislators at the meeting, told Israel Army Radio.

          Israel and the United States have said they would judge the new Palestinian leader by his actions and give him time to prove himself.

          But an Israeli Cabinet minister warned earlier Friday that time was running out for Abbas, the first sign that Israel had already lost patience.

          "Israel will not accept a reality of continuous terror against innocent civilians. Abu Mazen does not have 100 days of grace," said Housing Minister Yitzhak Herzog at a funeral for victims of the Karni attack.

          Israel closed the Karni and Erez crossings Friday, leaving Gaza largely isolated. Goods and humanitarian aid flow in to the fenced-in coastal strip through Karni, and the Erez crossing is used by aid workers, journalists, diplomats and some Palestinian workers with jobs in Israel. The Israeli military had eased checks at Karni in recent weeks to cut down on waiting periods.

          A third major Gaza crossing near the southern town of Rafah, used by Palestinian travelers, was closed last month after an attack there killed five Israeli soldiers.

          The closures renewed hardships for Palestinians just a week before a major Muslim holiday, Eid al-Adha, a time for shopping and family visits. Many Palestinians, exhausted after more than four years of fighting, were grumbling about the militants targeting the crossings.

          Adnan al-Halabi, who owns a small clothing store in the Jebaliya refugee camp, said he and other shopowners were expecting holiday merchandise to come in through Karni.

          "This operation is going to leave a negative impact on our lives," he said. "I am proud of the fighters who work for our interest, but they should think twice before choosing a target."

          Abbas is expected to try to co-opt the militants by asking Al Aqsa gunmen, many of them former policemen, to return to their jobs, and by offering Hamas a say in decision-making. The Islamic militant group has also said it would participate in legislative elections in July.

          In coming weeks, Abbas is to conduct Egyptian-brokered talks with the militants in Gaza and in Cairo.

          Militants are divided on how to respond to Abbas.

          In the West Bank town of Deir al-Hatab, more than 2,000 Hamas supporters paraded through the streets after Friday prayers, re-enacting a suicide bombing on an Israeli bus and calling for the armed uprising to continue.

          But the top Hamas official in the West Bank, Hassan Yousef, said the group is ready to suspend attacks as part of a deal with Abbas.

          Israel intends to pull out of Gaza in the summer. Militant groups have been stepping up their attacks in recent months in an attempt to show that they are forcing the Israelis out.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Talks bid to resolve textile disputes

           

             
           

          US soldier jailed for murder of Iraqi teenager

           

             
           

          China Red Cross collects 150m for tsunami aid

           

             
           

          Probe sends back data from Saturn's moon

           

             
           

          Nation to see fewer spring sandstorms

           

             
           

          Olympic deadlines draw nearer

           

             
            Sharon cuts ties with Abbas over violence
             
            Graner found guilty in Iraq prisoner abuse
             
            Fifteen Iraqi guardsmen feared kidnapped
             
            US soldier jailed for murder of Iraqi teenager
             
            US tank, Iraqi bus collide, killing 6
             
            Probe sends back data from Saturn's moon
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          Israel arrests 4 suspected militants in Gaza raid
             
          Sharon phones Abbas in highest contact in years
             
          Israel's Sharon to call Abbas
             
          Bush says he would welcome Abbas to US
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 无码人妻丰满熟妇区bbbbxxxx| 国产一区二区三区精品自拍 | 久久国内精品一国内精品| 人妻丝袜中文无码AV影音先锋专区| 亚洲精品欧美综合四区| 亚洲美女厕所偷拍美女尿尿| 九九热视频在线播放| 欧美精品一区二区三区中文字幕| 国产精品高清视亚洲中文| 亚洲人妻精品中文字幕| 成年女人碰碰碰视频播放| 亚洲精品揄拍自拍首页一| 国产成人午夜福利在线播放| 亚洲精品一区二区三区大桥未久| 69精品丰满人妻无码视频a片| 国产精品久久久尹人香蕉| 精品国产中文字幕在线看| 国产精品尤物午夜福利| 亚洲中文久久久久久精品国产| 免费无码中文字幕A级毛片| 日韩精品国产中文字幕| 少妇高潮喷水久久久久久久久| 国产激情一区二区三区不卡| 美女自卫慰黄网站| 国产精品久久国产丁香花| 久久中文字幕日韩无码视频| 亚洲国产精品成人av网| 强开少妇嫩苞又嫩又紧九色| 国产综合色一区二区三区| 亚洲国产超清无码专区| 国产精品小粉嫩在线观看| 国产成人亚洲精品在线看| 一区二区丝袜美腿视频| 天堂va欧美ⅴa亚洲va在线| 国产精品欧美福利久久 | 亚洲国产精品乱码一区二区| 国产高清视频一区二区三区| 国产99视频精品免费视频76| 丝袜美腿视频一区二区三区| 国产成人精彩在线视频50| 国精品午夜福利视频|