<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          'Nanny Problem' forces Kerik to withdraw
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-12-11 21:32

          Bernard Kerik, New York City's former top cop, withdrew his name from consideration to be President Bush's homeland security secretary, a victim of the embarrassing "nanny problem" that has killed the nominations of other prominent officials.


          US President George W. Bush (L), with Former New York City Police Commissioner Bernard Kerik (R). Commissioner Kerik withdrew his name for personal reasons from consideration for Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security late Friday. [AP]

          The surprise move late Friday sends Bush back in search of a Cabinet official to help guard the nation against another terrorist attack.

          While assembling paperwork for his Senate confirmation, Kerik said he uncovered questions about the immigration status of a housekeeper-nanny that he employed. As homeland security secretary, Kerik would oversee the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency.

          "I am convinced that, for personal reasons, moving forward would not be in the best interests of your administration, the Department of Homeland Security or the American people," Kerik said in a letter to Bush.

          He said he could not allow personal matters "distract from the focus and progress of the Department of Homeland Security and its crucial endeavors."

          Kerik — the bald, mustachioed former New York City police commissioner — was among a small cadre of leaders who became the face of the response to the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, often directing Manhattan's response alongside of then-Mayor Rudolph Giuliani.

          When Bush announced Kerik's nomination last week, he won early support in Republican and some Democratic quarters.

          But others questioned whether Kerik had the management experience to continue the nearly 2-year-long effort to meld the Homeland Security Department's sprawling bureaucracy, made up of more than 180,000 employees from 22 federal agencies.

          Democrats also were focusing on Kerik's recent windfall, which he made by exercising stock options in a stun gun company that does business with the Department of Homeland Security.

          Kerik's announcement marked an unusual disruption in the White House's normally well-choreographed personnel moves. But he is not the first prominent government official to fall victim to the "nanny problem."

          Similar issues killed the nominations of three candidates for top administration posts in the Clinton administration. That includes his first choice to be attorney general, Zoe Baird, who was forced to withdraw her name from consideration after the disclosure she had not paid Social Security taxes for a housekeeper, an illegal immigrant.

          When Bush set up his first Cabinet in 2001, conservative commentator Linda Chavez also stepped aside as the nominee for labor secretary after it was disclosed that she had given money and shelter to an illegal immigrant who once did chores around her house.

          In a telephone interview Friday night, former mayor Giuliani said he had discussed the immigration issue with Kerik in the last two days and agreed with his decision.

          "I'm disappointed that this had to happen, but I think it's the right decision, the only decision given the kind of issue that's involved here," Giuliani said. "I don't think this would be as major an issue if it were a different department of government."

          Kerik's personal lawyer, Joseph Tacopina, said it was Kerik's call to withdraw. "It was Bernie Kerik who uncovered this on his own. He brought it to the White House," said Tacopina, who described Kerik as "distraught."

          While Kerik confided in a close circle of associates, the announcement came as a surprise to many government insiders.

          One administration official helping prepare Kerik for Senate confirmation, speaking on condition of anonymity, said his decision shocked senior Homeland Security leaders.

          This official said Kerik still had not filled out all his ethics filings — which would detail his sources of income and financial liabilities — and said the FBI background investigation of Kerik was still incomplete.

          But the only moderately troubling information uncovered about Kerik so far had been news that he had earned $6.2 million by exercising stock options he received from Taser International, which had a lucrative relationship with the Homeland Security Department, this official said.

          As recently as midday Friday, the White House had defended Kerik against questions of conflict of interest involving his relationship with Taser. Now, Bush is turning his attention to finding a replacement.

          Among those mentioned as possible candidates before Kerik was chosen were Joe Allbaugh, a former director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency; Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Mike Leavitt and White House homeland security adviser Fran Townsend.

          Others believed to be interested in the job include Asa Hutchinson, Homeland Security undersecretary for border and transportation security.

          Kerik's first anti-terrorism work was as a paid private security worker in Saudi Arabia. He joined the New York Police Department in 1986, first walking a beat in Times Square. He eventually was tapped to lead the city's Corrections Department and was appointed commissioner in 2000.

          It was in that position that he became known to the rest of the country, supervising the NYPD's response to the 2001 terror attacks. In 2003, he took on a temporary assignment in Iraq to help rebuild the country's police force. Most recently, he has been a consultant for Giuliani Partners, working to rebuild Baghdad's police force.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          China concerns Japan's overhaul of defense policy

           

             
           

          Loosen gov't control of economy: Opinion

           

             
           

          SAFE: Country not reducing US dollar holdings

           

             
           

          Chinese plagiarism of German maglev refuted

           

             
           

          Coal mine blast kills 33 in Shanxi

           

             
           

          Watchdog: CAO made 'wrong' decisions

           

             
            'Nanny Problem' forces Kerik to withdraw
             
            Yuschenko arrives at hospital for tests
             
            US soldier jailed for killing unarmed Iraqi
             
            US homeland security nominee withdraws name
             
            OPEC to cut oil output next year
             
            First African woman awarded Nobel Prize
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          US homeland security nominee withdraws name
             
          Bush names new head of homeland security
             
          Ridge resigns US homeland security post
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 国产一区二区三区色区| 手机看片AV永久免费| 日韩一区二区三在线观看| 亚洲AV无码国产永久播放蜜芽| 亚洲高潮喷水无码AV电影| 亚洲一二三区精品美妇| 国产三级精品在线免费| 久久午夜私人影院| 国产精品成人免费视频网站京东| 67194熟妇在线观看线路| 激情亚洲内射一区二区三区 | 在线看a网站| 影音先锋大黄瓜视频| 日本一区二区三区免费播放视频站| 亚洲大尺度视频在线播放| 中国老太婆video| 日本一区三区高清视频| 国产中文字幕在线一区| 亚洲人午夜精品射精日韩| 亚洲精品无码永久在线观看| 熟妇激情一区二区三区| 久久精品伊人无码二区| 久久精产国品一二三产品| 亚洲熟妇少妇任你躁在线观看无码| 久久高潮少妇视频免费| 性虎精品无码AV导航| 日韩中文字幕精品人妻| 国产在线观看播放av| 亚洲欧洲一区二区免费| 光棍天堂在线手机播放免费| 国产精品麻豆成人AV电影艾秋 | 精品久久久久久无码专区 | 日韩成人大屁股内射喷水 | 精品国产久一区二区三区| 国产成人精品无码播放| 国产成人精品一区二区视频| 99网友自拍视频在线| 成全我在线观看免费第二季| 国产精品99久久免费| 国产线播放免费人成视频播放| 在线日本看片免费人成视久网|