<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Sudan, rebels agree to end 21-year civil war
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-11-19 20:04

          Rebel officials and the Sudanese government committed themselves Friday to ending the 21-year civil war in southern Sudan before January, signing an agreement at a special meeting of the U.N. Security Council in Africa.

          Sudan First Vice President Ali Osman Mohamed Taha (R) and Sudan People's Liberation Movement leader John Garang (L) shake hands during U.N. Security Council meeting in Nairobi November 19, 2004 after Sudan's government and its southern rebel foes promised to end Africa's longest running civil war by the end of the year. [Reuters]
          Sudanese Vice President Ali Osman Taha and southern rebel leader John Garang, the main negotiators for the two sides, made a similar pledge last year that never came to fruition. But this is the first time the warring sides have put a deadline in writing before the U.N. panel.

          The council responded with a resolution offering to support efforts toward peace in Sudan, where two civil wars have left millions dead and homeless. The unanimous vote came during a rare appearance outside of New York meant to focus world attention on the conflicts in Africa's largest country.

          U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan had urged the council to issue "the strongest warning" to all forces fighting in Sudan, saying that ending the war in the south would also help halt a humanitarian catastrophe in Sudan's western Darfur region.

          But the aid organization Oxfam International condemned the council's new resolution for failing to take a tougher line to help those in Darfur.

          "From New York to Nairobi, a trail of weak resolutions on Darfur has led nowhere," said Caroline Nursey of Oxfam. "Yesterday, Oxfam was unable to get vital aid to 200,000 people in Darfur who are cut off by renewed violence. Today they would still be in the camps, still waiting for aid. ... We needed the council to take action now, not yet more diplomatic dithering."

          British U.N. Ambassador Emyr Jones Parry said the Security Council "needs to be ready to take tougher action."

          The meeting in the Kenyan capital, Nairobi, is only the fourth time the council has met outside its New York headquarters since 1952.

          Garang, in a rare address by a rebel leader to the council, said the only way to avert tragedy is "to install a broad-based coalition government of national unity." He told members that only four issues remain to be resolved before a comprehensive agreement ending the southern war can be signed.

          Taha told the council that his country is committed to peace and that he agreed a new government could resolve the country's problems swiftly.

          Sudan's southern civil war has pitted the Islamic government against rebels seeking greater autonomy and a greater share of the country's wealth for the largely Christian and animist south. The conflict has left more than 2 million people dead, largely through war-induced hunger and disease.

          A conflict in the western Darfur region started in February 2003, when the government attempted to crush two non-Arab African rebel groups who took up arms to fight for more power and resources. The government responded by backing Arab militias now accused of targeting civilians in a campaign of murder, rape and arson.

          President Bush's administration believes the militias have committed genocide, said John Danforth, the U.S. ambassador to the U.N.

          The conflict has driven 1.8 million people from their homes and at least 70,000 people, mostly civilians, have died since March because of disease, hunger and hardships from being uprooted. Many more have been killed in fighting since the conflict started, but no firm estimate exists.

          Ahead of the meeting in Nairobi, human rights groups insisted the council take a harder line by imposing an arms embargo or threatening sanctions against the government.

          Later Friday, Annan was to meet with 11 African leaders in Tanzania to push for lasting peace in central Africa, where millions have died in wars, rebellions and a genocide in the past decade.

          During the two-day summit, the leaders are expected to sign a commitment to restore regional peace and security, African Union spokesman Assane Ba said.

          Africa's Great Lakes region — an area bordered by Congo, Rwanda and Burundi — has been unstable since the 1994 genocide in Rwanda in which more than 500,000 people, most of them from the country's Tutsi minority, were slaughtered by a regime of extremists from its Hutu majority.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Calcium producer dragged into controversy

           

             
           

          Chile and China launch free trade zone talks

           

             
           

          Guangzhou snubs design for tallest tower

           

             
           

          Law protects HIV carriers

           

             
           

          Arafat's widow retrieves medical records

           

             
           

          Jobless Haan reflects China's football crisis

           

             
            Arafat's widow retrieves medical records
             
            US, Iraqi forces raid Baghdad mosque
             
            Push for broad UN cloning ban crumbles
             
            Bomb kills Venezuela prosecutor, gov't swipes at US
             
            UN Congo peacekeepers guilty of sex abuse
             
            Gas blast in Russian nuclear sub killed one
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          Sudan government, SPLM/A sign memorandum of understanding
             
          UN Security Council in Africa to push Sudan peace
             
          UN Council wants Sudan peace deal by year-end
             
          Blair arrives in Sudan to press for Darfur peace
             
          Britain, China oppose Sudan sanction
             
          Sudan says it will observe UN resolution
             
          UN adopts resolution on Sudan's Darfur
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 亚洲熟少妇一区二区三区| 无码中文字幕动漫精品| 久久国产成人高清精品亚洲| 最新中文字幕av无码专区不| 日韩在线成年视频人网站观看 | 精品无码久久久久成人漫画| 国产在线午夜不卡精品影院| 日本一区不卡高清更新二区| 国产成人最新三级在线视频| 日韩淫片毛片视频免费看| 国产成人女人在线观看| 高级艳妇交换俱乐部小说| 丰满岳乱妇三级高清| 久久中文字幕日韩无码视频| 国产高清午夜人成在线观看,| 中国明星xxxx性裸交| 日韩V欧美V中文在线| 波多野42部无码喷潮| av一区二区中文字幕| 女被男啪到哭的视频网站| 91麻豆精品国产91久| 永久免费在线观看蜜桃视频| 超碰人人超碰人人| 亚洲男女羞羞无遮挡久久丫| 国产蜜臀在线一区二区三区| 成人国产精品一区二区网站公司 | 国内精品久久久久影院日本| 国产一区韩国主播| 99热门精品一区二区三区无码| 国产精品先锋资源站先锋影院 | 无码专区aaaaaa免费视频 | 国产精品白丝久久AV网站| 国产精品一区二区三区污| 开心色怡人综合网站| 精品人妻伦一二三区久久| 国产成人欧美一区二区三区在线| 极品无码国模国产在线观看| 在线免费不卡视频| 国产一区二区三区AV在线无码观看 | 日韩精品一区二区三区人| 欧美成人综合视频|