<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Haiti death toll passes 700 after storm
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-09-22 08:40

          The death toll across Haiti from the weekend deluges brought by Tropical Storm Jeanne rose to more than 700 Tuesday, with about 600 of them in Gonaives, and officials said they expected to find more dead and estimated tens of thousands of people were homeless.

          Waterlines up to 10 feet high on Gonaives' buildings marked the worst of the storm that sent water gushing down denuded hills, destroying homes and crops in the Artibonite region that is Haiti's breadbasket.

          The northern Haitian city of Gonaives is seen flooded on September 19, 2004 after Hurricane Jeanne passed through.[Reuters]


          Floodwaters receded, but half of Haiti's third-largest city was still swamped with contaminated water up to two feet deep four days after Jeanne passed. Not a house in the city of 250,000 people escaped damage. The homeless sloshed through the streets carrying belongings on their heads, while people with houses that still had roofs tried to dry scavenged clothes.

          "We're going to start burying people in mass graves," said Toussaint Kongo-Doudou, a spokesman for the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Haiti. Some victims were buried Monday.

          Flies buzzed around bloated corpses piled high at the city's three morgues, where the electricity was off as temperatures reached into the 90s.

          Only about 30 of the 250 bodies at the morgue of the flood-damaged General Hospital hade been identified, said Dr. Daniel Rubens of the International Red Cross. Many of the dead there were children.

          "I lost my kids and there's nothing I can do," said Jean Estimable, whose 2-year-old daughter was killed and another of his five children was missing and presumed dead.

          Dieufort Deslorges, spokesman for the civil protection agency, said he expected the death toll to rise as reports came in from outlying villages and estimated a quarter million Haitians had been made homeless.

          Rescue workers reported recovering 691 bodies by Tuesday night — about 600 of them in Gonaives and more than 40 in northern Port-de-Paix, Deslorges said. In addition, at least 51 were recovered in other areas.

          But Deslorges said there were dozens more dead still unaccounted for, which would bring the toll past 700. "It appears many were swept away to the sea, there are bodies still buried in mud and rubble, or floating in water," he said.

          He said relief workers were operating under "extremely difficult conditions: no electricity, all landline telephone service is cut, cell phones work very badly and then there's no power to recharge them."

          Gonaives was blacked-out Tuesday night. Only a handful of buildings were lit and hotels packed with displaced people were in darkness because they had run out of fuel for generators.

          More than 1,000 people were missing, said Raoul Elysee, head of the Haitian Red Cross, which was trying desperately to find doctors to help. The international aid group CARE said 85 of its 200 workers in Gonaives were unaccounted for.

          "It's really catastrophic. We're still discovering bodies," said Francoise Gruloos of the U.N. Children's Fund.

          The aid group Food for the Poor said the main road north from Gonaives was made impassable by the storm — it was unclear whether from mudslides or debris — and there were fears that hundreds of possible flood victims may be out of reach.

          Brazilian and Jordanian troops in the U.N. peacekeeping mission sent to stabilize Haiti after rebels ousted President Jean-Bertrand Aristide in February struggled to help the needy as aid workers ferried supplies of water and food to victims.

          CARE spokesman Rick Perera said the agency had about 660 tons of dry food in Gonaives, including corn-soy blend, dried lentils and cooking oil and was trying to set up distribution points.

          Police said aid vehicles were being waylaid by mobs on the outskirts of Gonaives. One truck that made it to City Hall in the town center was swarmed by people who began throwing its load of bagged water into the crowd, setting off a melee. The driver finally sped off, bouncing people off the truck.

          Addressing the U.N. General Assembly on Tuesday, Haiti's interim president, Boniface Alexandre, pleaded for help.

          "In the face of this tragedy ... I appeal urgently for the solidarity of the international community so it may once again support the government in the framework of emergency assistance," he said.

          Several nations were sending aid including $1.8 million from the European Union and $1 million and rescue supplies from Venezuela. The U.S. Embassy announced $60,000 in immediate relief aid Monday, drawing criticism from Rep. Kendrick Meek, D-Fla., who called it "a drop in the bucket."

          Floods are particularly devastating in Haiti, the poorest country in the Americas, because it is almost completely deforested, leaving few roots to hold back rushing waters or mudslides. Most of the trees have been chopped down to make charcoal for cooking.

          Jeanne came four months after devastating floods along Haiti's southern border with the Dominican Republic. Some 1,700 bodies were recovered and 1,600 more were presumed dead.

          Gonaives also suffered fighting during the February rebellion that led to the ouster of President Jean-Bertrand Aristide and left an estimated 300 dead.

          The storm entered the Caribbean last week, killing seven people in Puerto Rico before the hurricane hit the Dominican Republic, killing at least 19, including 12 who drowned Monday in swollen rivers. The overall death toll was 717.

          On Tuesday, Jeanne was posing no threat to land, about 515 miles east of Great Abaco island in the Bahamas.

          Also out in the open Atlantic was Hurricane Karl, 990 miles from the Caribbean's Leeward islands, and Tropical Storm Lisa, which was about 1,005 miles northeast of the Leeward Islands.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          FM spokesman: UN is not a "board of directors"

           

             
           

          Wen: China supports Russia to fight terrors

           

             
           

          Yukos called to honour oil commitments

           

             
           

          Website: 2nd US hostage killed in Iraq

           

             
           

          Border issue solved with Kyrgyzstan

           

             
           

          US Fed raises rates for third time

           

             
            Haiti death toll passes 700 after storm
             
            FM spokesman: UN is not a "board of directors"
             
            US Fed raises rates for third time
             
            Website: 2nd US hostage killed in Iraq
             
            Possibility of Iraq civil war looms large
             
            Bush defends decision to oust Saddam
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          Storm death toll rises to 622 in Haiti
             
          Death toll in Haiti floods tops 550
             
          Tropical storm Jeannee kills at least 90 in Haiti
            News Talk  
            Are the Republicans exploiting the memory of 9/11?  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 亚洲成人av在线资源| 国产精品自拍一二三四区| 亚洲国产精品综合福利专区| 国产精品尤物在线| 国产午夜精品无码一区二区| 人人人澡人人肉久久精品| AV大片在线无码永久免费| 人妻va精品va欧美va| 亚洲欧美人成网站在线观看看| 国内外精品成人免费视频| 午夜福利激情一区二区三区| 精品国产福利一区二区| 亚洲一本大道在线| 亚洲少妇一区二区三区老| 在线天堂最新版资源| 欧美不卡视频一区发布| 天堂va蜜桃一区二区三区| 久久久久综合中文字幕| 国语对白在线免费视频| 国产成人高清精品亚洲一区| 亚洲欧美日本久久网站| 狠狠色狠狠色综合日日不卡| 日本一区不卡高清更新二区| 一本一道久久久a久久久精品91| 日韩少妇人妻vs中文字幕| 手机成人午夜在线视频| 午夜在线不卡| 欧美野外伦姧在线观看| 久久精品夜色噜噜亚洲aa| 内射中出无码护士在线| 国色精品卡一卡2卡3卡4卡在线| 久久99久久99精品免视看动漫| 亚洲区综合中文字幕日日| 欧美视频网站www色| 日本aaaaa片特黄aaaa| 国99久9在线 | 免费| 久久久久久久久久久久中文字幕 | 国产玖玖视频| 成人午夜福利视频一区二区| 欧美午夜小视频| 无码一区二区三区av在线播放|