<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          Sudanese say no to threat of intervention
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-08-05 00:20

          Tens of thousands of Sudanese marched on the U.N. headquarters in Khartoum Wednesday in protest at the possibility of Western military intervention to combat a humanitarian crisis in the western region of Darfur.


          Over 100,000 Sudanese protesters in Khartoum Wednesday, Aug 4, 2004 march to the office of the United Nations in Khartoum to protest a UN security council resolution that gives Sudan 30 days to stop the violence of Arab militia in Darfur province. [AP]

          Khartoum faces the threat of unspecified international sanctions if it does not show within 30 days that it is serious about disarming and prosecuting Janjaweed militia who have helped displace more than 1 million people in Darfur.

          The U.N. envoy to Sudan stressed Wednesday that the U.N. Security Council, which set the deadline, was not looking for a full solution to the crisis within that timeframe but proof of "substantial progress" toward security.

          "There was some misunderstanding here in Khartoum that the council asked for a full solution of the conflict (in that period). That is impossible," envoy Jan Pronk told the BBC.

          In Addis Ababa, a spokesman for the African Union (AU) said the organization would boost the number of troops it would deploy in Darfur to protect truce monitors from 300 to 2,000, once the head of the AU's security body approved the proposal.

          Protesters in Khartoum, many from organized pro-government groups but including many ordinary citizens, carried anti-American banners and chanted slogans attacking U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan for his close alignment with U.S. policy.

          "Annan, Annan, shame, shame," they shouted. "Annan, Annan, you coward. We will not be ruled by the Americans."

          The organizers said at least 35,000 people took part in the protest -- in line with independent assessments of the crowd.


          Hundreds of Sudanese women march from the Sudanese foreign ministry to the UN headquarters in Khartoum Wednesday, July 28, 2004 to protest the threat of foreign intervention into the country's Darfur region. The group handed a memo of protest to the UN resident representative to Sudan. [AP]

          The AU troop initiative, which was discussed and put forward by ministers in the AU's 15-member Peace and Security Council that includes Sudan, now awaits the signature of South African President Thabo Mbeki, the current head of the security body, AU spokesman Adam Thiam said.

          The proposal was also discussed at the 53-member AU summit in Addis Ababa last month, and would also aim to broaden the original mandate of the AU force to include a peacekeeping role as well as protecting truce monitors in Darfur.

          There are 96 unarmed AU observers in Darfur, and Sudan has reluctantly agreed to an armed force to protect them.

          Hundreds of thousands of people have abandoned their homes in Darfur, mostly for fear of the Janjaweed, which the government has used as auxiliaries to try to suppress a rebellion by settled non-Arab peoples. The militias have raped, looted, killed and set fire to villages.

          The protest Wednesday reflected the government's success in convincing ordinary Sudanese that Western military intervention in Darfur is an imminent danger.

          In fact, no countries other than those in the AU have gone beyond the preliminary planning stage, and the United States has shown no inclination to send troops to Darfur.

          AFRICANS YES, AMERICANS NO

          Hassan Ahmed, a Sudanese protester in his 60s, said: "If they want to send African troops, then those are from among us, but we will not allow a single American foot to rest on Darfur soil." He said he was not a government loyalist.

          Khadija Adam, a woman from western Sudan, said: "I am not saying that things are not hard for us, but on the other hand we cannot allow them (the international community) to use this as an excuse to make us kneel to them."

          The Sudanese government has said it will strongly oppose any attempt to send Western troops into Darfur, a vast arid region about the size of France.


          Refugees arrive from Sudan to Chad after they fled the Sudanese Darfur region following violent clashes. The African Union said it was planning to send a 2,000-strong peacekeeping force to Sudan's troubled Darfur region, which the United Nations says is the scene of the world's worst humanitarian disaster. [AFP]

          Pronk, Annan's special representative to Sudan, told the BBC Khartoum was taking steps to improve security for displaced people and had lifted all restrictions on humanitarian access to Darfur.

          "They have deployed many more policemen in the region and they have stopped their own military activities against villagers," he said, adding that security in the refugee camps had also improved.

          Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Aboul Gheit told reporters that Egypt wanted Arab foreign ministers, at their meeting in Cairo Sunday, to support Khartoum's efforts to comply with the U.N. Security Council resolution.



           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Old industrial base creating more jobs

           

             
           

          US urged to honour promise on Taiwan

           

             
           

          HK, Guangdong explore joint projects

           

             
           

          University chiefs converge in Beijing

           

             
           

          Schoolyard stabbing kills child, injures 18

           

             
           

          Environmentalists work to stem 'red tide'

           

             
            Commuter trains crash in Zimbabwe, 70 hurt
             
            Jordanian hostages freed after Iraq raid
             
            New N. Korean missiles could reach US land
             
            US soldiers abused Iraqis 'for fun,' court told
             
            Paraguay market owner charged as fire toll hits 409
             
            India tunnel collapse kills 28, work to resume
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            News Talk  
            How Kerry Can Beat Bush  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 日韩精品一区二区都可以| 亚洲性日韩精品一区二区| 欧美成本人视频免费播放| 欧美怡红院视频一区二区三区 | 国产成人av一区二区三区在线观看| 中文字幕亚洲人妻系列| 亚洲av日韩av无码尤物| 日本一本无道码日韩精品| 国产精品久久久久人妻无码| 亚洲码与欧洲码区别入口| 成在人线av无码免费高潮水老板 | 深夜福利啪啪片| 久久丁香五月天综合网| 国产精品流白浆无遮挡| 亚洲嫩模一区二区三区 | 无码人妻一区二区三区在线视频| 最近高清日本免费| 五月天国产成人AV免费观看| 日韩激情无码av一区二区| 2021国产成人精品久久| 国产内射一级一片内射高清视频| 亚洲黄色一级片在线观看| 亚洲乱码日产精品m| 精品人妻少妇嫩草av系列| 国产最新AV在线播放不卡| 图片区 小说区 区 亚洲五月 | 日本亚洲一级中文字幕| 国产免费无遮挡吸乳视频在线观看| 中文字幕有码无码AV| 强奷漂亮少妇高潮伦理| 麻豆国产成人AV在线播放| 亚洲熟妇AV乱码在线观看| 久青草视频在线免费观看| 国产片AV在线永久免费观看| 日韩熟女熟妇久久精品综合 | 久久亚洲日本不卡一区二区| 亚洲一二区在线视频播放| 好好热好好热日韩精品| 精品嫩模福利一区二区蜜臀| 国产精品午夜福利免费看| 色熟妇人妻久久中文字幕|