<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          US, Iraqi council spar over new president
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-05-31 09:21

          Iraq's Governing Council and the US-led occupation authority wrangled over which of two senior politicians should become Iraq's next president in one month, while a US patrol came under fire in Najaf, rattling a shaky ceasefire.


          A militiaman of the Mehdi Army brandishing his rifle looks around during clashes with US troops in the Valley of Peace cemetery, in the holy city of Najaf, 120 kms south of Baghdad. [AFP]

          The Governing Council was backing Sunni Muslim tribal chief Sheikh Ghazi al-Yawar, while US overseer Paul Bremer and UN envoy Lakhdar Brahimi were endorsing elder Sunni statesman Adnan Pachachi, according to Iraqi and coalition officials.

          The dispute prompted the Governing Council to delay a decision on the presidency, a largely ceremonial post.

          Pachachi told the US network ABC that the announcement of the new government would come Monday, but he denied that the council was playing a lead role in picking who will lead the country after the June 30 transition of power.

          "The choice of the formation of the interim government has nothing to do with the Governing Council," Pachachi said by telephone.

          "According to the law, this government will be formed as a result of extensive consultations with all strands of Iraqi society," he said.

          Asked if had been tapped as president, Pachachi replied: "I will have to wait until tomorrow."

          Meanwhile, a US patrol came under attack in Najaf, on the fourth day of a fragile ceasefire with radical Shiite cleric Moqtada Sadr and his private militia.

          "Members of the Mehdi Army confronted it with rocket-propelled grenades and gunfire, forcing it to retreat," Sheikh Mushtaq al-Khufaji told AFP.

          The clashes, which started around 9:00 am Sunday and lasted about one hour, erupted around the northern extremities of the city's vast cemetery, known as the Valley of Peace.

          In Baghdad, at least two Iraqis were killed and five wounded Sunday when gunmen fired at a convoy of three sports-utility vehicles (SUV) on a busy road in northwestern Baghdad, a police officer said.

          An AFP correspondent saw one body inside a white vehicle as a crowd gathered on the road, which leads to Baghdad airport where US forces are based.

          Police Captain Saadun Aziz later identified the dead man as an Iraqi and said the second individual killed was an Iraqi civilian whose car was driving too close to the convoy.

          The dead man, whose face was covered in blood, was wearing a combat vest and a pistol was resting on the floor of the vehicle.

          North of Baghdad, two men were killed when a home-made bomb they were planting by a road near the oil refinery center of Baiji exploded prematurely, police said Sunday.

          US officials have repeatedly said they fear an upsurge in attacks before the June 30 handover, and British Prime Minister Tony Blair said Sunday that he would decide within weeks whether to send more troops to Iraq.

          Britain announced last week that it would send some 370 extra troops to its zone of occupation in southern Iraq, taking the total to 8,900. But the reinforcement was far smaller than the 3,000 troops referred to in press reports in recent weeks.

          "There are all sorts of different options that are under consideration," he said.

          "The important thing is we've got to remain there until the job is done, although I hope and anticipate that in a year's time there will be a very substantial reduction of troops from where we are now," Blair added.

          But the political debate on who would become Iraq's first post-Saddam Hussein president cast a shadow over the efforts to establish a transitional government in just one month.

          "It appears that the Governing Council is leaning toward Sheikh Ghazi and the UN and CPA are leaning toward Pachachi," a coalition official told AFP Sunday night.

          Both Yawar, a leader of the Shammari tribe, one of Iraq's largest clans, and Pachachi, a former foreign minister, represent a progressive strain in the country's political arena.

          "They are actually both very forward-looking moderate gentlemen," the coalition official said.

          He refused to say why the coalition was not backing Yawar.

          Kurdish Governing Council member Mahmud Othman was critical of the coalition's apparent failure to endorse Yawar.

          "They want to impose someone on us. We won't accept this. This is not the way to hand over sovereignty," Othman told AFP, in reference to US officials.

          Othman accused the United Nations and the coalition of conniving at the expense of Iraqis.

          Othman said prime minister-apparent Iyad Allawi, whose nomination was announced Friday, was also a US choice.

          "He was an American candidate. They brought him to the council. We supported him," he said. In return, the Governing Council wanted US officials to bless their choice of Yawar.

          Neighboring Kuwait welcomed Allawi's selection, hoping it would help restore stability to the war-torn nation.

          "The cabinet hopes that this step will help restore stability to Iraq for the brotherly Iraqi people to be able to build their country," Kuwait's cabinet said in a statement, carried by the state news agency KUNA.

           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          EU, China reach deal on coke supply

           

             
           

          Bush keeps Saddam gun at White House

           

             
           

          US, Iraqi council spar over new president

           

             
           

          New bank set to revitalize Northeast China

           

             
           

          First Bohai Bay oil to flow ahead of schedule

           

             
           

          Swedish game banned for harming China

           

             
            Twenty-two killed in Saudi attacks
             
            Gunmen kill 2 foreigners, seize 3 in Baghdad
             
            Bush keeps Saddam gun at White House
             
            Standoff ends after deadly Saudi attack
             
            Top pro-Taliban cleric gunned down in Karachi
             
            Michael Moore offers Berg interview to family
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          Gunmen kill 2 foreigners, seize 3 in Baghdad
             
          Media attack: Another body found in Iraq
             
          Allawi nominated as transitional Iraqi PM
             
          Iraq's Shahristani reluctant on PM role
             
          US, Britain differ on Iraq operations
            News Talk  
            AMERICA, I think you are being FRAMED by your own press and media.  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 国产精品国产三级国av| 亚洲色精品88色婷婷七月丁香| 亚洲色成人一区二区三区| 国产一二三区在线| 蜜桃av亚洲精品一区二区| 亚洲色成人网站www永久下载| 一本色道久久综合亚洲精品不卡| 久久人妻公开中文字幕| 国产精品亚洲中文字幕| 日本高清免费毛片久久| 美腿丝袜亚洲综合在线视频| 成人影片麻豆国产影片免费观看| 国产偷国产偷亚洲欧美高清| 亚洲区一区二区激情文学| 中文字幕精品亚洲二区| 天堂а√在线地址在线| 久久亚洲精品成人综合网| 高清无码在线视频| 亚洲国产成人无码电影| 日韩V欧美V中文在线| 日本japanese 30成熟| 亚洲成人av一区免费看| 国内精品视频区在线2021| 日韩欧美在线综合网另类| 久久96热在精品国产高清| 久久人妻少妇偷人精品综合桃色 | 东京热加勒比无码少妇| 亚洲国产精品毛片在线看| 亚洲女同精品久久女同| 亚洲第一无码专区天堂| 亚洲av无码成人精品区一区| 国产乱子影视频上线免费观看| 国产中文字幕久久黄色片| 99久久精品久久久久久清纯| 亚洲国产精品电影人久久网站| 国产高清精品一区二区三区| 99久久婷婷国产综合精品| 亚洲欧美人成人让影院| 97se亚洲综合在线天天| 久久精品久久电影免费理论片| 国产精品亚洲二区在线播放|