<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          US General: Much of Iraq's forces have quit
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-04-22 09:01

          About one in every 10 members of Iraq's security forces "actually worked against" U.S. troops during the recent militia violence in Iraq, and an additional 40 percent walked off the job because of intimidation, the commander of the 1st Armored Division said Wednesday.

          In an interview beamed by satellite from Baghdad to news executives attending The Associated Press annual meeting, Maj. Gen. Martin Dempsey said the campaign in Iraq was at a critical point.

          "We have to get this latest increase in violence under control," Dempsey said. "We have to take a look at the Iraqi security forces and learn why they walked."

          The militia violence aggravated underlying troubles in Iraq's new military and police forces — the unfulfilled desire for "some Iraqi hierarchy in which to place their trust and confidence" and a reluctance by Iraqis to take up arms against their countrymen, Dempsey said.

          "It's very difficult at times to convince them that Iraqis are killing fellow Iraqis and fellow Muslims, because it's something they shouldn't have to accept," he said. "Over time I think they will probably have to accept it."

          The failure of Iraqi security forces to perform is significant because it could hurt the United States' overall exit strategy from Iraq, which is dependent on moving U.S. troops out of the cities and handing authority to Iraqis. Officials have said the U.S. military would delay its withdrawal from parts of Iraq until Iraqi forces were ready to take control.

          In one example of the problems, on April 5, a newly created Iraqi army battalion of several hundred soldiers refused to join U.S. Marines in their offensive against insurgents in the city of Fallujah.

          Dempsey maintained in the interview that popular support for the U.S.-led coalition in Iraq is still "very solid."

          But he acknowledged "a form of descending consent" for the U.S. military presence occurring among Iraqis as time passes.

          "There is a point where it doesn't matter how well we're doing, it won't be accepted that we have a large military presence here," he said. "We're all working very diligently trying to figure out where that point is."

          Dempsey was asked about the remarks of two other U.S. commanders who questioned the wisdom of banning former Baath Party members from government jobs when their skills are needed in the reconstruction effort.

          "History is going to have to decide whether that was right or not," he said.

          Dempsey recalled receiving a warning from Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Abdullah that the coalition forces would find it tough to bring order to Iraq after dissolving the country's only two powerful institutions — the army and the Baath Party.

          "So part of me says our jobs may have been easier had we just found a way to keep some of the Baath Party in place," Dempsey said, echoing comments by Maj. Gen. John R.S. Batiste and Brig. Gen. Carter F. Ham published in The New York Times on Wednesday.

          But Dempsey added: "On the other hand, the entire part of the population that was disenfranchised during these 35 years, largely the Shiite population, absolutely has no trust in any former member of the Baath Party. So we found ourselves exactly in the middle of this."

          On the security forces, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld has said he is sending Maj. Gen. David Petraeus back to Iraq to oversee the training and equipping of all Iraqi security forces, including those who had been the responsibility of the State Department or the Coalition Provisional Authority.

          Dempsey said efforts are under way to ensure Iraqi security forces that there will be Iraqi authorities in place to back them up after U.S. troops leave.

          During the recent militia attacks, "about 50 percent of the security forces that we've built over the past year stood tall and stood firm," he said.

          "About 40 percent walked off the job because they were intimidated. And about 10 percent actually worked against us," said Dempsey, describing that group as infiltrators.

          Dempsey commands the Army division in charge of Baghdad. He has been in Iraq for more than a year, focusing on intelligence gathering and combatting terrorism as he works to help Iraqi security forces take over those tasks.

           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          DPRK's stance unchanged on 6-party talks

           

             
           

          Kelly: Take Beijing's resolve seriously

           

             
           

          Sino-Russian military ties deepened

           

             
           

          Fake milk powder wholesale dealers detained

           

             
           

          FBI boss sees US-Sino collaboration

           

             
           

          Tranquilizers fed to baby girl by nurse

           

             
            US General: Much of Iraq's forces have quit
             
            EU 'cheated' by Greek Cypriots ahead of key vote
             
            18 children among 68 dead in Basra bombs
             
            Blasts hit Riyadh, Basra; dozens killed
             
            Israel nuke whistleblower freed from prison
             
            Russian Soyuz spacecraft docks with ISS
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          18 children among 68 dead in Basra bombs
             
          Blasts hit Riyadh, Basra; dozens killed
             
          US tries to repair Iraq coalition cracks
             
          21 prisoners die in Iraq prison bombing
             
          Iraqi tribunal to try Saddam
             
          Honduras to pull troops soon from Iraq
             
          Sadr tells followers to stop attacks on Spanish troops
            News Talk  
            3 Japanese taken hostage in Iraq  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 99久久亚洲综合精品成人网| 国产精品无遮挡在线观看| 国产a级三级三级三级| 国产AV一区二区精品凹凸| 日韩高清不卡免费一区二区| 国产美女久久久亚洲综合| 玩弄放荡人妻少妇系列| 日韩AV无码精品一二三区| 亚洲欧洲国产成人综合不卡| 国产成人综合色就色综合| 人妻av综合天堂一区| 国产成人亚洲精品自产在线| 亚洲精品久久一区二区三区四区| 亚洲av不卡电影在线网址最新| 久久久WWW成人免费精品| 久久精品夜色国产亚洲av| 另类 专区 欧美 制服| 亚洲精品国产精品国自产小说| 久操热在线视频免费观看| 国产精品一区二区久久| 国产精品偷乱一区二区三区| 国产欧美精品一区aⅴ影院| 亚洲综合色区另类av| 国产精品第一页中文字幕| 亚洲精品天堂在线观看| www国产亚洲精品久久网站| 色天使久久综合网天天| 97精品亚成在人线免视频| av毛片免费在线播放| 18禁无遮挡啪啪无码网站破解版| 四虎国产精品永久地址49| 四虎在线播放亚洲成人| 亚洲一区成人在线视频| 国色天香成人一区二区| 欧美国产日产一区二区| 亚洲一区二区三区自拍偷拍| japanese无码中文字幕| 一个色综合色综合色综合| 成人国产精品日本在线观看| 国产精品老熟女免费视频| 2019香蕉在线观看直播视频|