<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
            Home>News Center>World
                   
           

          S. Korea won't send troops to Iraqi city
          (Agencies)
          Updated: 2004-03-19 14:15

          South Korea canceled plans to send troops to the northern Iraqi city of Kirkuk, citing US pressure to participate in "offensive operations," but still plans to send the forces to help rebuild the country, the Defense Ministry said Friday.


          South Korean special policemen stand guard at the Incheon International Airport, west of Seoul, Wednesday, March 17, 2004. South Korean acting President Goh Kun on Wednesday called a meeting of senior officials to review anti-terrorism efforts, saying the country is a possible terrorist target following last week's deadly bombings in Spain. [AP Photo]

          The ministry said it was looking for another location to send the promised 3,600 forces.

          Seoul's dispatch, which would make South Korea the biggest coalition partner after the United States and Britain, was scheduled to come as early as next month. But Friday's decision means the mission might be delayed.

          South Korea's Defense Ministry said the "United States cited inevitability for offensive operations to keep security in order in the Kirkuk area," and proposed that a certain number of US troops remain in Kirkuk to operate under South Korean control.

          South Korean said the US proposal does not jibe with South Korea's intention to "keep its own independent operational command system and conduct peaceful reconstruction."

          The move comes as other allies in the Iraq coalition reconsider their contributions.

          Spain's new government made its pullout threat shortly after winning elections Sunday, three days after bombings in Madrid — possibly by al-Qaida-linked terrorists retaliating for Spain's participation in the U.S.-led effort in Iraq.

          On Thursday, Polish President Aleksander Kwasniewski said his country was "misled" about whether Saddam Hussein's regime had weapons of mass destruction and also was considering an early troop pullout.

          A US Defense Department official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said that the United States values "South Korea's contribution in fighting terrorism as we value the contributions of the more than 90 countries that have joined the coalition in fighting terrorism.

          "It is up to each country to decide what type, duration and scope of support it may provide the coalition," the official said.

          Staunch U.S. allies Australia and the Philippines said Friday that the coalition should not abandon Iraq in the face of possible terror attacks.

          "Iraq is now on the cusp of a positive new chapter in its history," Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said. "Now is not the time for the international community to succumb to terrorist threats and to abandon the Iraqi people."

          Philippine President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo rejected calls by some opposition politicians in her country to withdraw its 96-member contingent from Iraq and distance her country from the U.S.-led war on terrorism.

          "What the opposition is suggesting is that we just silently cower in fear and hope the terrorists won't strike at us," Arroyo said in a statement. "This will not work. Terrorists are bullies and the more you cower, the more they will hit you.

          South Korean Prime Minister Goh Kun, acting president after the National Assembly impeached President Roh Moo-hyun last Friday, assumed duty over the weekend promising to follow through on the Iraq mission.

          But his government has warned that the country must prepare for possible terrorist attacks as its plans to send troops. Since the Spain bombings, Seoul has stepped up security at airports and elsewhere.

          "We plan to maintain close consultations with the United States and select an area where we can effectively conduct our mission of peaceful reconstruction under a more stabilized condition, and decide on the timetable for the dispatch," the Defense Ministry said in a statement.

          South Korea's Yonhap news agency, citing an unnamed ministry official, said the dispatch would be put off until June and that the military was considering sites in central or southern Iraq where things are more stable.

          One ministry source told Yonhap a new strong candidate site is Najaf in southern Iraq, where the Spanish troops are currently stationed. A South Korean survey team, led by Lt. Gen. Kim Jang-su, was to return later Friday after a weeklong visit to Iraq, possibly with suggestions on a new site, Yonhap said.

          Kim had met with U.S. military leaders in Baghdad earlier this week and agreed on the changes regarding Kirkuk, Yonhap said.

          Earlier this year, the South Korean parliament approved the dispatch of 3,600 troops — in a mission code named "Zaytun," or olive in Arabic — to help with Iraqi reconstruction. The public was split over the decision, but the dispatch won the backing of all major political parties.

          The troops, to include special forces and marines, were to head to the northern Iraqi oil town of Kirkuk, 180 miles north of Baghdad, and take control of reconstruction and security needs in the area.

          About 460 South Korean medics and military engineers have been in southern Iraqi town of Nasiriyah for almost a year, and will come home when the new dispatch is sent.

           
            Today's Top News     Top World News
           

          Global protests rally against Iraq war, occupation

           

             
           

          Taiwan "referendum" vetoed by the people

           

             
           

          China to cultivate more excellent scientists

           

             
           

          China puzzled over US tax complaint at WTO

           

             
           

          State banks head toward Sept IPO

           

             
           

          Marriage bells toll in cyber churches

           

             
            Iraq pull-out all but inevitable-Zapatero
             
            Global protests rally against Iraq war, occupation
             
            Bush urges allies to stick with united mission
             
            As EU verdict looms, Microsoft more distracted than ever
             
            Vietnamese boy dies of bird flu
             
            Love among the suicide bombs: Iraq’s soap opera
             
           
            Go to Another Section  
           
           
            Story Tools  
             
            Related Stories  
             
          Tally: Iraq suicide bombs killed 660
             
          Kerry criticizes Bush's Iraq policy
             
          S. Korea braces for more protests against impeachment
             
          S. Korea parliament voted to impeach Roh for violating election laws
             
          Toll rises to 198 dead, 1,430 hurt by Madrid bombs
            News Talk  
            The Human Rights Record of the United States in 2003  
          Advertisement
                   
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 99中文字幕精品国产| 人妻系列中文字幕精品| 亚洲中文精品人人永久免费 | 日韩一区二区大尺度在线| aⅴ精品无码无卡在线观看| 欧美日产国产精品日产| 亚洲爆乳少妇无码激情| 日韩精品视频一二三四区| 国产精品无码a∨麻豆| 久久久美女| 亚洲人成人一区二区三区| 自拍视频在线观看成人| 图片区 小说区 区 亚洲五月| 性欧美精品xxxx| 亚洲精品麻豆一区二区| chinese熟女老女人hd视频 | 国产精品白浆在线观看| 亚洲综合精品第一页| 给我播放片在线观看| 天堂在线精品亚洲综合网| 国产精品偷伦费观看一次| 久久久久成人精品无码中文字幕 | 国产亚洲精品中文字幕| 老熟妇国产一区二区三区| 国产精品人妻中文字幕| 久久精品天天中文字幕人妻| 蜜臀精品视频一区二区三区| 巨熟乳波霸若妻在线播放| 国产初高中生粉嫩无套第一次| 妇女自拍偷自拍亚洲精品| 中文字幕无码不卡在线| 国产尤物精品自在拍视频首页 | 91娇喘视频| 特级做a爰片毛片免费看无码| 蜜桃视频一区二区在线看| 久热久热久热久热久热久热| 成全高清在线播放电视剧| 视频一区视频二区视频三| 国产一级片内射在线视频| 亚洲午夜激情久久加勒比| 久久国产乱子伦免费精品无码|