<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
          USEUROPEAFRICAASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
          Home / World

          US moves to shorter prison time for some drug offenses

          By Agencies in San Francisco | China Daily | Updated: 2013-08-14 07:56

          US moves to shorter prison time for some drug offenses

          The United States unveiled steps on Monday to fix what it considers the longstanding unjust treatment of many nonviolent drug offenders, aiming to bypass tough mandatory prison terms while reducing the country's huge prison population and saving billions of dollars.

          "Too many US citizens go to too many prisons for far too long, and for no truly good law enforcement reason," Attorney General Eric Holder, the top US law enforcement official, said in a speech in San Francisco to unveil the proposals.

          He called minimum jail terms "counterproductive", noting the need to stay strict but be smarter about fighting crime.

          And he warned that while the total US population has increased by about one-third since 1980, the prison population has soared 800 percent.

          The US accounts for 5 percent of the world population but nearly a quarter of all people imprisoned, he said in remarks to the American Bar Association.

          "Today, a vicious cycle of poverty, criminality, and incarceration traps too many Americans and weakens too many communities. And many aspects of our criminal justice system may actually exacerbate these problems, rather than alleviate them," Holder said.

          Of the more than 219,000 people jailed in US federal - as opposed to state-run - prisons, nearly half were convicted of drug-related offenses.

          Altogether, inmates in local, state and federal prisons cost the government $80 billion in 2010 alone, he added, saying it was time for reform.

          The US prison population was just shy of an estimated 1.6 million in 2012, the Bureau of Justice Statistics announced last month.

          "We will start by fundamentally rethinking the notion of mandatory minimum sentences for drug-related crimes. Some statutes that mandate inflexible sentences - regardless of the individual conduct at issue in a particular case - reduce the discretion available to prosecutors, judges, and juries," Holder said.

          Holder said he hopes the US Congress will pass new legislation, but in the meantime, he has mandated a modification of the US Justice Department's charging policies.

          He said that under the changes, certain low-level, nonviolent drug offenders who have no ties to large-scale organizations, gangs or cartels will no longer be charged with offenses that impose draconian mandatory minimum sentences.

          "They now will be charged with offenses for which the accompanying sentences are better suited to their individual conduct, rather than excessive prison terms more appropriate for violent criminals or drug kingpins," he said.

          "By reserving the most severe penalties for serious, high-level, or violent drug traffickers, we can better promote public safety, deterrence, and rehabilitation, while making our expenditures smarter and more productive," he said.

          In a further effort to ease the prison population, Holder announced a change to allow for early release of elderly inmates who did not commit violent crimes and have served significant portions of their sentences.

          "Of course, as our primary responsibility, we must ensure that the US public is protected from anyone who may pose a danger to the community," Holder said.

          "But considering the applications of nonviolent offenders - through a careful review process that ultimately allows judges to consider whether release is warranted - is the fair thing to do," he added.

          "And it is the smart thing to do as well, because it will enable us to use our limited resources to house those who pose the greatest threat."

          The American Civil Liberties Union welcomed the changes.

          "Today, the attorney general is taking crucial steps to tackle our bloated federal mass incarceration crisis, and we are thrilled by these long-awaited developments," it said in a statement.

          AFP-Reuters

          (China Daily 08/14/2013 page12)

          Today's Top News

          Editor's picks

          Most Viewed

          Copyright 1995 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
          License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

          Registration Number: 130349
          FOLLOW US
          主站蜘蛛池模板: av色蜜桃一区二区三区| 久久先锋男人AV资源网站| 亚洲精品人成网线在播放VA| 国产高清视频一区二区乱| 国产一区二区三区不卡在线看| 日本中文字幕在线播放| 丰满人妻被黑人连续中出| 无码精品一区二区久久久 | 久久综合九色综合97婷婷| 国产精品一区二区韩国AV| 国产精品亚洲二区亚瑟| 亚洲国产一线二线三线| 一区二区偷拍美女撒尿视频| 1精品啪国产在线观看免费牛牛| 久久精品女人天堂av免费观看 | 亚洲午夜精品久久久久久抢| 99精品久久精品| 精品国产乱码久久久久久1区2区| 亚洲人成网网址在线看| 色在线 | 国产| 亚洲黄日本午夜一区二区| 老色鬼在线精品视频在线观看| 视频专区熟女人妻第二页| 天天看片视频免费观看| 亚洲综合一区二区三区| 日韩在线成年视频人网站观看| 国产免费人成网站在线播放| 最新亚洲人成网站在线影院| 91pao强力打造免费高清 | 人妻系列中文字幕精品| a级毛片在线免费观看| 亚洲成av人片无码天堂下载| 色欲香天天天综合网站无码| 国产一区二区不卡91| 精品久久久久久中文字幕2017| 国产精品成人一区二区三区| japanese无码中文字幕| 色偷偷成人综合亚洲精品| 强奷白丝美女在线观看| 亚洲av成人无网码天堂| 2020精品自拍视频曝光|