|
CHINA> National
![]() |
|
'Bribery is widespread' in Rio case
By Zhang Qi and Tong Hao (China Daily)
Updated: 2009-07-15 07:18 Executives from all 16 Chinese steel mills participating in iron ore price talks this year have been bribed by Rio Tinto employees, an industry insider claimed Tuesday, amid reports that the government is considering invalidating 20 iron ore import licenses to regulate the chaotic ore import business. The startling claim comes amid a widening probe of alleged business espionage linked to the world's second-largest iron ore miner, Rio Tinto. Executives from five leading domestic steel makers and officials from the industry association are reportedly under investigation following last week's detention of four employees of Rio Tinto's China operation, including an Australian.
"Rio Tinto got to know the key executives of the 16 steel mills, who have sensitive industry information, when the China Iron and Steel Association (CISA) brought them to the bargaining table," said a senior manager at a large steel company, who requested anonymity. "And then Rio Tinto bribed them (to get access to industry data), which has become an unwritten industry practice," the source said. "If companies didn't accept, they would have cut supplies and so the whole steel industry has been bribed." His words come as the CISA is reportedly mulling over re-examining the iron ore import licensing system because some license holders are said to have abused their rights. "It is very likely for CISA to cancel about 20 iron ore import licenses held by steel makers and trading companies, with a focus on trading companies," the 21st Century Business Herald reported, citing an anonymous source. Another industry insider, who also requested to be unnamed, told China Daily: "There are about 1,200 steel mills in China. Most small- and medium-sized mills without import licenses have to buy ore from big ones with licenses. "Therefore, some big mills don't care about the ore prices because they could transfer the increasing cost to small- and medium-sized ones. Meanwhile, those small- and medium-sized steel mills are forced to sign contracts with global miners privately." And, Hu Kai, analyst with Umetal, a steel consulting firm, said: "Because of their own interest and intense competition among various steel makers in China, it's unlikely for them to present a united front when bargaining with overseas ore providers."
"I suggest the country should first control the output of the iron and steel industry. Besides, China should also enhance exploration of domestic mines and increase investment in overseas mining resources," Hu said. CISA started reducing iron ore import licenses in 2005. By the end of last September, the number of firms possessing licenses in China has been reduced from 500 in 2005 to 112 now, and trading firms from 250 to 40. The Shanghai State Security Bureau earlier this month detained Stern Hu, an Australian citizen and Rio's chief iron ore salesman in Shanghai, and three of his Chinese colleagues. They are accused of stealing sensitive industry data critical to China's iron ore price talks. |
主站蜘蛛池模板: 极品无码国模国产在线观看 | 国产三级精品三级在线看 | 国产男女黄视频在线观看| 国产丰满乱子伦无码专区 | 欧美伊人色综合久久天天| 亚洲av色一区二区三区| 中文字幕无码免费久久9一区9 | 97人妻精品一区二区三区| 久久综合久中文字幕青草| 亚洲一本大道在线| 日本高清视频网站www| 欧美丰满熟妇xxxx| 九九热在线这里只有精品| 又粗又硬又大又猛免费视频| 国产精品美女一区二三区| 裸体女人高潮毛片| 亚洲AV无码专区在线播放中文| 国产一区二区三区粉嫩av| 成人精品天堂一区二区三区| 日韩大片高清播放器| 农村妇女高清毛片一级| 图片区小说区av区| 野外做受三级视频| 人妻伦理在线一二三区| 日韩在线播放中文字幕| 国产一区二区在线激情往| 国产精品二区中文字幕| 欧美性猛交xxxx富婆| 久久精品国产精品第一区| 日韩激情无码av一区二区| 加勒比无码人妻东京热| 香蕉EEWW99国产精选免费| 强开小雪的嫩苞又嫩又紧| 亚洲成人精品| 久久热99这里只有精品| 成人无码一区二区三区网站| 免费观看的av在线播放| 人妻聚色窝窝人体WWW一区| 亚洲人成人伊人成综合网无码| 亚洲国产一区二区三区久| 伊人精品成人久久综合97|