<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
          Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
          Opinion
          Home / Opinion / Chen Weihua

          Aussie leaders must raise their voice to free Assange

          By Chen Weihua | chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2023-08-04 11:47
          Share
          Share - WeChat
          The US Capitol building is seen in Washington, D.C., the United States, Nov. 4, 2022. [Photo/Xinhua]

          Unlike his predecessor Scott Morrison, incumbent Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has been urging the Joe Biden administration to drop the charges against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, who has been confined in the maximum security Belmarsh Prison in London since April 2019 while Washington seeks his extradition to the United States.

          But Albanese's efforts were rejected on July 29 by visiting US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, who said that Assange is accused of "very serious criminal conduct" for publishing classified US military documents in 2010 after US Army intelligence analyst Chelsea Manning leaked them to WikiLeaks.

          Assange is facing 17 charges under the US Espionage Act and could be sentenced to as many as 175 years in a US maximum security prison if he is extradited to the US. The WikiLeaks founder lost his appeal in June against the extradition, triggering an outcry among his supporters around the world.

          On Tuesday, asserting that his government stands firm against the US and its prosecution, Albanese said "this has gone on for too long", adding that "enough is enough". However, his remarks are far from being strong enough.

          Amnesty International's message, for example, is much stronger. It said that the "authorities in the USA must drop the espionage and all other charges against Julian Assange".

          The London-based group said "the US government's unrelenting pursuit of Julian Assange for having published disclosed documents that included possible war crimes committed by the US military is nothing short of a full-scale assault on the right to freedom of expression", strong words that Albanese and Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong dare not use in front of US officials. Wong only said that Australia wants the charges "brought to a conclusion", a very ambiguous message.

          The US military cables released by WikiLeaks detailed war crimes committed by the US administration in the Guantanamo detention center, Iraq and Afghanistan, including the killing of civilians and two Reuters reporters and the CIA engaging in torture and rendition.

          Worse, Yahoo News reported in 2021 that the CIA under then director Mike Pompeo had discussed abducting and assassinating Assange in 2017 while he was in asylum in the Ecuadorian embassy in London.

          The Brussels-based International Federation of Journalists has launched a campaign, calling on the US government to drop all charges against Assange and allowing him to return home to be with his wife and children.

          The IFJ warned against the dire implications of the US' actions on press freedom, emphasizing that the punishment of Manning, who collaborated with Assange in releasing the US documents, was commuted by former US president Barack Obama. A point to be noted is that none of WikiLeaks' media partners has been charged in any US administration's legal proceeding.

          The editors and publishers of the media partners of WikiLeaks, including The Guardian, The New York Times, Le Monde, Der Spiegel and El Pais, wrote an open letter last year calling on the US to end its prosecution of Assange.

          A group of Democratic lawmakers including Rashida Tlaib of Michigan sent a letter in April to US Attorney General Merrick Garland, urging him to drop all charges against Assange.

          Albanese and Wong could also learn from Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, who described the arrest of Assange as "an attack on freedom of expression" way back in 2010 during his last term in office. And during his visit to London in May, Lula denounced the lack of concerted efforts to free Assange, saying "the guy is in prison because he denounced wrongdoing" and "the press doesn't do anything in defense of this journalist, I can't understand it".

          Lula is right. It is shameful that most Western mainstream media outlets and Western politicians have not shown the guts to support Assange despite their hypocritical rhetoric on press freedom.

          The author is chief of China Daily EU Bureau based in Brussels. chenweihua@chinadaily.com.cn

          Most Viewed in 24 Hours
          Top
          BACK TO THE TOP
          English
          Copyright 1994 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
          License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

          Registration Number: 130349
          FOLLOW US
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 中文字幕一区二区网站| 国产特级毛片aaaaaa毛片| 亚洲无av在线中文字幕| 国产一级av在线播放| 日本在线观看视频一区二区三区 | 不卡一区二区国产精品| 国产激情电影综合在线看| 蜜臀一区二区三区精品免费| 人妻少妇久久久久久97人妻| 国产免费午夜福利蜜芽无码| 亚洲av激情综合在线| 一面膜上边一面膜下边视频| 久久久亚洲欧洲日产国码农村| 国产精品网红尤物福利在线观看| 日本精品不卡一二三区| 在线亚洲+欧美+日本专区| 国产精品中文字幕第一区| 男人av无码天堂| 久久一亚色院精品全部免费| 日韩AV高清在线看片| 色综合久久婷婷88| 国产又爽又黄又爽又刺激| 92国产精品午夜福利免费| 未满十八勿入AV网免费 | 国产天美传媒性色av高清| 国产一卡2卡三卡4卡免费网站| 99久久久无码国产精品9| 一区二区亚洲人妻精品| av永久免费网站在线观看| 国产精品免费第一区二区| 精品久久国产字幕高潮| 国产精品不卡一区二区在线| 久久精品国产精品第一区| 久热这里只有精品在线观看| 国产精品无码久久久久AV| 色悠悠国产在线视频一线| 成在线人视频免费视频| 国产成人午夜精品影院| 国产人成亚洲第一网站在线播放| 亚洲av永久无码精品天堂久久| 人妻被猛烈进入中文字幕|