<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
          Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
          Opinion
          Home / Opinion / Zhao Huanxin

          Will Trump heed the call of US farmers to reduce trade deficits?

          By Zhao Huanxin | China Daily | Updated: 2018-04-18 08:46
          Share
          Share - WeChat

          The US farming sector is caught in the crossfire of an emerging trade war between the world's top two economies. As US President Donald Trump considers increasing farm subsidies to compensate farmers for the expected decline in their exports and incomes once the US imposes the proposed tariffs on Chinese imports, representatives of the prime agricultural states and lobbying groups declared they prefer "trade to aid".

          On April 5, Trump proposed punitive tariffs on $100 billion worth of Chinese imports, in addition to the proposed tariff on $50 billion of Chinese goods two days earlier. In response, China announced 25 percent tariffs on imports of US airplanes, automobiles, and soybean, sorghum and other agricultural products.

          Even before China's announcement, US farm income had been "trending downward over an eight-year period", as Trump put it last Monday. And US Senator Pat Roberts told PBS NewsHour on Thursday: "Mother Nature hasn't been very good to us either."

          Overall, US net farm income is expected to drop by 6.7 percent to $59.5 billion this year, the lowest since 2006, according to a US Department of Agriculture release.

          Roberts, who is also chairman of the Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry, was among a group of mostly Midwest lawmakers who met with Trump on the trade issue on Thursday. "There was a proposal that was at least floated… billions of dollars in aid to offset any tariff retaliation," the Republican from Kansas told PBS after the meeting. "Everybody there insisted and really made their point to the president that we wanted trade, not aid."

          Another Republican senator, Ben Sasse of Nebraska, had issued a statement a day earlier on what he said were "misguided plans to spend billions of dollars on new subsidy programs during a poorly conceived, tariffs-first trade war".

          "This administration proposal is Saturday-morning-cartoon central planning. We want more trade, not less," Sasse said, adding that the farmers want to feed the world and win with trade.

          And Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds was quoted by axios.com as saying farmers don't want welfare; they want to "work and win".

          Moreover, a coalition of 107 trade groups spoke as one on the issue. In a letter to Capitol Hill on Wednesday, the business coalition, including the American Soybean Association, made it clear that subsidies are not a long-term solution. "While they may provide short-term relief-depending on existing legal authorities-the long-term costs of losing a market will be exponential," the letter said.

          Last year, the US shipped 32.85 million metric tonnes of soybean worth $12 billion-or 62 percent of its total soybean exports-to China, according to earlier media reports.

          The letter also said the US farmers and exporters cannot easily find new buyers for their products: "Once a market is lost, and a buyer shifts to a foreign competitor, even if only for a short period of time, future US exports and sales likely will be lost as well."

          Compared with the unfavorable weather, the pressure of the looming tariffs and the unpredictability of Trump's policies are a greater threat to the US farmers. Compounding the matter is the failure of the Trump administration to release any information on how Washington plans to help the farmers.

          Interestingly, Trump has said US farmers are "great patriots" and he can't tolerate the trade deficits with China. So wouldn't it be good if the US farmers display their patriotism by helping to narrow the trade deficits with China?

          That is also what is sought by John Heisdorffer, president of ASA, which lobbies for 21,000 US producers of soybean. "Soybean farmers want to be an essential part of helping lower our trade deficit with China," Heisdorffer said at a congressional hearing on Thursday. "We believe that expanding market access can play a vital role in increasing our agricultural trade surplus."

          But will Trump pay heed to the call of US farmers?

          The author is deputy editor-in-chief of China Daily USA.

          Most Viewed in 24 Hours
          Top
          BACK TO THE TOP
          English
          Copyright 1994 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
          License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

          Registration Number: 130349
          FOLLOW US
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 亚洲乱理伦片在线观看中字| 国产高潮又爽又刺激的视频| 国产91精品调教在线播放| 中文字幕无线码免费人妻| 一本之道高清无码视频| 熟妇的味道hd中文字幕| 综合偷自拍亚洲乱中文字幕| 亚洲人妻中文字幕一区| 夜夜添夜夜添夜夜摸夜夜摸| 99久久精品看国产一区| 极品无码国模国产在线观看| 无码中文字幕av免费放| 久久99久久99精品免视看动漫| 国产综合久久久久影院| 欧美不卡无线在线一二三区观| av在线播放无码线| 开心激情站开心激情网六月婷婷| 国产精品免费观看色悠悠| 欧美成人精品高清在线播放| 中文字幕亚洲一区二区三区| AV在线不卡观看免费观看| 亚洲精品国产一区二区三| 国产精品自拍中文字幕| 亚洲一区二区国产精品视频| 国产成人啪精品午夜网站| 北岛玲精品一区二区三区| 国产精品福利一区二区三区| 国产精品护士| 亚洲性日韩精品一区二区| 99riav精品免费视频观看| 国产二区三区不卡免费| 美女一级毛片无遮挡内谢| 2020国产欧洲精品网站| 白白色发布永久免费观看视频| 大桥未久亚洲无av码在线| 野外做受三级视频| 视频日本一区二区三区 | 四虎成人精品永久网站| 麻豆av字幕无码中文| 国产一区二区日韩经典| 91全国偷拍免费视频|