<tt id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"><pre id="6hsgl"></pre></pre></tt>
          <nav id="6hsgl"><th id="6hsgl"></th></nav>
          国产免费网站看v片元遮挡,一亚洲一区二区中文字幕,波多野结衣一区二区免费视频,天天色综网,久久综合给合久久狠狠狠,男人的天堂av一二三区,午夜福利看片在线观看,亚洲中文字幕在线无码一区二区
          Global EditionASIA 中文雙語Fran?ais
          Opinion
          Home / Opinion / Op-Ed Contributors

          'America First' trade rows about to begin

          By Dan Steinbock | China Daily | Updated: 2017-08-04 07:09
          Share
          Share - WeChat

          MA XUEJING/CHINA DAILY

          The first China-US Comprehensive Economic Dialogue in Washington concluded on July 19, without a joint news conferences, joint statement or new announcements on market access by the United States to China or vice-versa, prompting many to assume the CED has paved the way to a major trade conflict between the two countries.

          But despite tough political rhetoric, economic realities do not seem to support such a view.

          A more nuanced scenario is that, while the Donald Trump administration was willing to penalize the Sino-US economic dialogue over slow progress in deficit reduction and perhaps the Democratic People's Republic of Korea's geopolitics, it also wanted to use the CED as a "demonstration effect" in the impending North America Free Trade Agreement talks and trade reviews-to signal determination.

          In fact, the shadows over the CED emerged a while ago. After Trump met with President Xi Jinping in early April, the two sides announced a 100-Day Action Plan to improve bilateral trade ties. Yet only two weeks later, Trump issued a presidential memorandum, directing Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross to investigate the effects of steel imports on the US' national security on the basis of the Trade Expansion Act of 1962.

          After returning from his visit to France last month, Trump ramped up the heat. "They're dumping steel and destroying our steel industry," he said on the eve of the CED. "They've been doing it for decades, and I'm stopping it. There are two ways: quotas and tariffs. Maybe I'll do both."

          While China's ambassador to the US Cui Tiankai warned Washington of "troubling developments" that could derail the bilateral relationship, Ross raised the heat by saying he would present Trump a range of options to restrict steel imports on national security grounds.

          Significantly, steel imports as a national security threat was not presented only as a Sino-US issue but also as a multilateral challenge.

          As steel imports suddenly became a "national security" issue for the US, Secretary of Defense James Mattis was dragged into the debacle. By mid-June, Europe's NATO leaders had already launched an extraordinary lobbying campaign against an anticipated US crackdown on steel imports, which, they said, would hit US allies more than China. Consequently, Mattis, not Commerce Secretary Ross, has been hearing the cases of apprehensive German and Dutch NATO leaders and passing on their concerns to the White House.

          In the White House, the issue reignited the old divide between trade hawks-including Trump's trade and industrial policy head Peter Navarro; trade representative Robert Lighthizer; and trade advisor Dan DiMicco, who is former CEO of US steel giant Nucorwho are pushing for high import tariffs, and the more business-friendly former Goldman Sachs executives-Secretary of Treasury Steven Mnuchin and National Economic Council chief Gary Cohn-who argue for restraint.

          Washington's European NATO allies do not buy the national security argument. Some EU leaders are even ready for retaliation if Trump decides to walk the talk.

          On the other hand, the US' NAFTA partners have been monitoring the debacle closely. If the Trump administration plans to use steel as a national security threat, Canada and Mexico know full well the focus will also be on NAFTA rather than just China or Germany.

          China produces almost half of the world's steel, but its US market share in steel is marginal-less than 2 percent. The largest steel exporters to the US include Washington's NAFTA partners Canada (almost 17 percent) and Mexico (about 9 percent), East Asian giants the Republic of Korea (12 percent) and Japan (nearly 7 percent), as well as Brazil, Turkey, Russia, Germany, Taiwan, Vietnam-and then the Chinese mainland.

          So if Trump really is "hell-bent on imposing" major tariffs on steel, it is the US' NAFTA partners that will be the first to feel the heat. But if Trump moves further to imported aluminum, semiconductors, paper, household appliances, that's when China and other major exporters to the US will become targets as well.

          1 2 Next   >>|
          Most Viewed in 24 Hours
          Top
          BACK TO THE TOP
          English
          Copyright 1994 - . All rights reserved. The content (including but not limited to text, photo, multimedia information, etc) published in this site belongs to China Daily Information Co (CDIC). Without written authorization from CDIC, such content shall not be republished or used in any form. Note: Browsers with 1024*768 or higher resolution are suggested for this site.
          License for publishing multimedia online 0108263

          Registration Number: 130349
          FOLLOW US
          主站蜘蛛池模板: 色窝窝免费播放视频在线| 少妇熟女久久综合网色欲| 最新精品国偷自产在线| 伦精品一区二区三区视频| 亚洲日本精品国产第一区| 国产一区二区精品偷系列| 亚洲国产精品久久电影欧美| 91国语精品3p在线观看| 少妇av一区二区三区无码| 久久精品国产亚洲AV麻| 国产亚洲精品久久久久久无| 性欧美三级在线观看| 国产不卡一区二区精品| 国产成人福利在线视老湿机| 99在线视频免费观看| 一区二区不卡国产精品| 人人超碰人人爱超碰国产| 美日韩精品一区三区二区| 国产精品久久久久精品日日| 亚洲精品av中文字幕在线| 成人精品日韩专区在线观看| 亚洲国产精品成人av网| 欧美色欧美亚洲高清在线视频| 欧美交a欧美精品喷水| 国产在线拍偷自揄拍精品| 人人玩人人添人人澡超碰| 亚洲国产99精品国自产拍| 蜜桃视频中文在线观看| 亚洲欧洲日韩国内高清| 久久93精品国产91久久综合| 国产偷国产偷亚洲高清午夜| 九九热视频在线播放| 亚洲欧洲av一区二区久久| 中国老太婆video| 激情动态图亚洲区域激情| 国产精品会所一区二区三区| 国产a网站| 国产午夜亚洲精品久久| 国产四虎永久免费观看| 中文字幕网久久三级乱| 中文无码熟妇人妻av在线|